2017 Honda Pilot Elite Transmission Problem - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2017 Honda Pilot Elite Transmission Problem

My 2017 Pilot Elite with about 6000 miles had transmission problems about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night when I was driving around 65-70mph with the ECO on. As soon as I turned off the ECO the Pilot started to loose speed quickly, Pushing on the gas pedal didn't work, at the same time a warning came on the dash saying "Stop Driving When Safe Transmission Problem". It seemed like the transmission had slipped into neutral when I was driving. After I stopped the P indicator on the dash was flashing on and off. The transmission wouldn't come out of park. none of the other gear selector would work. I called Honda Roadside service (that is another crazy story) that had a towing company that was scheduled to show up cancel for no reason after waiting for over an hour with the police. Honda roadside could have gotten me another tow truck but that would be another 90 minute wait. The police officer was able to get me a tow truck in about 10 minutes (city contract). Not using Honda roadside service.

My Pilot has been at the dealer now for over 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do to fix the problem. They were able to get the transmission code but since they haven't been able to duplicate the problem they haven't done anything. They have been waiting for Honda Tech support to tell them what to try because my Pilot is a 2017. The area Honda Rep told the dealer to release the Pilot back to me since the problem can't be duplicated.

My wife doesn't want to drive it knowing that nothing was fixed especially with my kids. They were all in the Pilot with the problem happen. Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:15 AM

So the transmission became normal after the car was towed to dealer or it returned to normal after power-cycling the car?

Sounds like turning ECO mode off while driving in certain mechanical conditions triggered some bug(?) or false condition in control system. Debugging would be extremely hard for dealers as they don't know the logic behind transmission control and I doubt Honda's software team will find anything wrong with their code. Kind of like Toyota's automatic accelerations.

2017 EX-L AWD Steel Sapphire w Sensing, Husky Weatherbeater liners, Curt Hitch
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMR View Post
Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks
Mine is a 2016 but its the exact same transmission, and no, I haven't had any problems with it at all.

2016 Honda Pilot, Touring (Elite)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Three weeks is way too long to figure things out.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 PM

2017 Honda Pilot Elite Transmission Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djaxx View Post
Mine is a 2016 but its the exact same transmission, and no, I haven't had any problems with it at all.

It may be the exact same mechanical transmission, but that says nothing about the computerized transmission controller or engine controller and their associated software. It is known that there have been multiple "updates" for early production 2016s, and it is suspected that there were running changes during production.
Also, flakey wiring connections can manifest themselves in strange and unpredictable ways. Same with any computing system.

Last edited by Wanderer; 06-12-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: