Minor crash at 2 months old - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Minor crash at 2 months old

Okay my pilot was involved in a crash today. My first accident in life, first auto claim in life. Anyone knows what I should be careful of when dealing with bodyshop/mechanic? It seems to me just a replacement of bumper cover. The aluminum bumper itself has been scratched. I am not sure if the "frame" of the car has been impacted or anything behind the bumper maybe broken? James' experience with bodyshop after a crash scares me.

BTW, the automatic braking didn't kick in at all, although it is overly sensitive to potholes. I may think twice of honda sensing if I have a time machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_0642_LI.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	108377  

2017 Pilot EXL AWD Sensing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:59 PM

Look everywhere the plastic bumper cover may have been pushed and you may find more damage. Fender, headlight, grill. You get the idea. There's nothing but air behind the corner of the bumper. My wife stuck the front corner of her 2014 MDX into the rear bumper of another car at about 5-10 mph and it was $3500 damage!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npbk View Post
Okay my pilot was involved in a crash today. My first accident in life, first auto claim in life. Anyone knows what I should be careful of when dealing with bodyshop/mechanic? It seems to me just a replacement of bumper cover. The aluminum bumper itself has been scratched. I am not sure if the "frame" of the car has been impacted or anything behind the bumper maybe broken? James' experience with bodyshop after a crash scares me.

BTW, the automatic braking didn't kick in at all, although it is overly sensitive to potholes. I may think twice of honda sensing if I have a time machine.
Not trying to defend Honda, the manual says that it first alert the driver, with audio/visual alarm, then if no response from driver then it would to to stop, and MINIMIZE the impact. Not sure in your case it even tried to stop. Even it it did, minimize the damage is their goal, not to prevent any acident. I am not very impressed with this safety feature. Sometimes too much of beeping would numb your brain and when it actually comes for real you would think it's another too sensitive alarming.

2016 Touring (Canadian), Obsidian Blue with running boards; Tow package.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Get it to a Honda certified bodyshop. They will have to remove bumper and lower fender to examine internal damages. From the picture, I don't think you have frame damages. They will definitely replace bumper with a new one and repaint it to color match your car. When they remove bumper, they will very likely damage/break plastic trim fastners that hold wheel well fenders and hood bulkhead cover, etc. Make sure they order a few those clips. In my case, I found out they broke several clips that hold several plastic trims. Since they didn't order them beforehand, they just didn't put clips in when they put everything back. I found out after drove car home that a few plastic parts were loose. I made a list of missing clips with their part numbers and went back bodyshop and asked them to order them and reinstall the loose trims. I also found out they didn't replace strut bearing (visual inspection appeared no damage) and it makes clunk noise when drving over speed hump. They ordered a new strut bearing assembly and will redo it soon.

Since your pilot is less than two years old, you should get OEM NEW parts. Make sure you mention/ask this with your insurance and body shop. Looks like damage is about $4k.

If it's the other driver's fault, you may consider diminished value claim later when your car has been fixed.

2017 EX-L AWD Steel Sapphire w Sensing, Husky Weatherbeater liners, Curt Hitch

Last edited by JamesW; 06-11-2017 at 10:40 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

If Honda certifies body shops it's the first I've ever heard of it in over 15 years of Honda ownership AND I used to work in the claims dept of a national carrier.
Even we hated the state mandated schemes where we had to certify body shops.
Most dealers have their favorite body shops. Ask your dealer who does their work.
As the prior poster noted new bumper cover, fog light, all fog light trim, clips etc. add in absorber and potential for a replacement bumper "bar".
It won't be a cheap repair. Costs of repairs seem to be rising very fast these days.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Also, don't go to the Honda dealer just because they're the Honda dealer. I had minor body damage repaired at a Honda dealer and it was some of the worst work I've ever had done. The dealer has nothing special over good body shops.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Thanks for letting me know there's nothing behind the right corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda7 View Post
I was disappointed the sensing did nothing during the crash, no beeping, flashing, or braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Thanks for the info. The other driver admitted it's her fault at the scene but who knows what she will tell her insurance company. For faster repair I claimed with my own insurance and they will go after her insurance. My insurance told me to ask the adjuster about diminished value claim. Do you mean I should not file the diminished value claim with my insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I guess James meant the body shop his local dealership works with. If my insurance certified bodyshop gives estimate of 3k but my dealership says 4K then I need to pay for the 1k difference, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Clark View Post
Thanks for the info. I will see if the insurance certified bodyshop uses one new parts.

Last edited by Npbk; 06-11-2017 at 02:58 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Another minor crash. In a parking lot. A truck side swipped my (parked) '16 Touring while pulling out of his parking space.

I apologize for adding my misery to this thread, but the damage is about the same.

My insurance, Amica, says the rear bumper cover needs to be replaced, because there is a hole all the way thru the bumper cover. Nationwide says the bumper cover can be "repaired".

I want a new bumper cover.

I was going to go thru Nationwide first, but now I'm thinking I should go thru mine, and let them fight it out.

Amica appraisal is $2,000. Nationwide is 1,276.

And the Nationwide appraisal does not include the cost of replacing the tail light assembly. I had this done as soon as I could, so I could drive the car safely, w/o being pulled over by the Police for having no tail light. $300 for the tail light replacement.

At this point, Nationwide is not on my side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Damagexx3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	108457  

2016 Pilot Touring AWD - Black/Grey
WeatherTech floor mats, Moon Roof Visor, Trailer Hitch w/ATF cooler.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshirley View Post
Another minor crash. In a parking lot. A truck side swipped my (parked) '16 Touring while pulling out of his parking space.

I apologize for adding my misery to this thread, but the damage is about the same.

My insurance, Amica, says the rear bumper cover needs to be replaced, because there is a hole all the way thru the bumper cover. Nationwide says the bumper cover can be "repaired".

I want a new bumper cover.

I was going to go thru Nationwide first, but now I'm thinking I should go thru mine, and let them fight it out.

Amica appraisal is $2,000. Nationwide is 1,276.

And the Nationwide appraisal does not include the cost of replacing the tail light assembly. I had this done as soon as I could, so I could drive the car safely, w/o being pulled over by the Police for having no tail light. $300 for the tail light replacement.

At this point, Nationwide is not on my side.
That looks very minor. I'd just have it repaired. You'll lose less value if you just let them repair the bumper cover. First, the plastics they use to repair them these days are really good and you'll never know the difference. Second, each major panel, including the bumper covers, have VIN stickers on them that cannot be replaced. If you replace the cover it's obvious to anyone looking at the vehicle that it's been replaced because there will no longer be a VIN sticker.
jshirley likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. The other driver admitted it's her fault at the scene but who knows what she will tell her insurance company. For faster repair I claimed with my own insurance and they will go after her insurance. My insurance told me to ask the adjuster about diminished value claim. Do you mean I should not file the diminished value claim with my insurance?

Not sure your state law. In Florida, we can only file DV with the other (at fault) driver's insurance. I meant to suggest you file DV with the other driver's insurance. I haven't file DV yet, waiting for the additional repair to be done. Then I will contact USAA for DV claim. During the whole repair process, my insurance, StateFarm, was never involved as USAA did everything right (all new parts, rental). Some told me file with own insurance may result premium increase. StateFarm affirmed me they won't. I told my agent I will only ask him to get involved if the other insurance refuses to do repair, etc.

Your car is two month old. They will have to use all new parts. Besides, there is no after market parts for 3rd gen Pilot yet. They have to order from Honda.

2017 EX-L AWD Steel Sapphire w Sensing, Husky Weatherbeater liners, Curt Hitch
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 AM

Thank you John_Clark for your advice.

My beautiful '16 was damaged. I would like to be made as good as new again. I guess that is not possible now.

BTW - I love my '16 Pilot Touring.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 AM

Yes, it's just a 'flesh wound'.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshirley View Post
Yes, it's just a 'flesh wound'.
And thus is invoked the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

plplplpl and MrPerception like this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:23 AM

Garage
'Tis but a scratch.

I've had worse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Totaled Transport - Copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	108465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Totaled Transport - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	108473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wife - Dont Worry Shes OK Eventually.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	108481   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Lady Who Rearended Us - Still Texting.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	108489  

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)

Last edited by plplplpl; 06-12-2017 at 02:34 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Agree with the other respondents, damage will probably be anywhere from $3k to $6k. Since the airbags didn't deploy, doesn't seem like any sensors would need to be replaced. Basically cosmetic pieces (bumper, panels, etc.). Just make sure you inspect the work as thoroughly as possible prior to receiving your Pilot back.

The sensing on our Elite has been 100% responsive in situations when I wasn't paying attention or broke very late and provided warnings (beeps and flashing display) to give me a heads up. I trust that it will alert me when it senses danger. BUT, I don't depend on it to do my job as the driver.

My understanding is the sensing is good for rear end (where you are the one that would cause the rear-end) collisions. You didn't provide much in regards to your accident. As it appears to be only be damage to the front-right area, its hard to say whether the sensing should have worked or not.

In either case, hope everyone is alright and the repairs go smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: