Best oil and filter for 2017 Pilot? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best oil and filter for 2017 Pilot?

I want to change my own oil in my 2017 Pilot Touring. Is there a recommended type of oil and filter I should be using? Best source to get online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Honda filter while under warranty and any 0w20 oil from Wally World.
Zx12-iowa likes this.

2013 Pilot EX-L 4WD: 40K miles
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 AM
xGS

Given the demands that the VCM system seems to place on motor oil, choosing a full synthetic oil would seem to be worth the relatively small cost premium.
shurguywutt likes this.

2003 EX

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 AM

I have done extensive reading about this and I would not trust anything other than a FULL synthetic in my 08 Pilot. The J35 is very hard on oil and runs at high temperatures (also burns oil) especially on the highway when VCM is active. I would use a premium oil filter too something like Royal Purple, Purolator Boss, or Mobil 1... Honda filter is a garbage expensive FRAM. Search amazon or you can get Mobil 1 Extended Protection (great off the shelf synthetic) at Chinamart for less than $30.

I usually run 5w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic with a Purolator Boss or Royal Purple filter. I am considering switching to 0w-30 Redline. I know it is overkill but it is pennies compared to engine repairs and its my car so I do what I want :-)

If you are changing your own oil why not spend the extra $20-$30 and get premium oil and premium filter? Its a very small investment to keep your engine running clean. Just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 LX-VP 2WD J35Z1 119k

"For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." -James 1:20

Last edited by shurguywutt; 06-06-2017 at 08:10 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurguywutt View Post
Honda filter is a garbage expensive FRAM.
Not if you get the Honda filter for the S2000.

2003 EX
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:02 AM

I did my own oil change. I went with Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Fram filter designed for synthetic oil. It was only about $12 more for oil and filter both over conventional oil and filter. I have a new 2017 Pilot EX.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGS View Post
Not if you get the Honda filter for the S2000.
So I have heard, but for the same price on amazon you can get a royal purple with the 25 micron glass media :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjohnny View Post
I did my own oil change. I went with Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Fram filter designed for synthetic oil. It was only about $12 more for oil and filter both over conventional oil and filter. I have a new 2017 Pilot EX.
Did you use the tough guard or ultra synthetic?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 PM
xGS

Quote:
So I have heard, but for the same price on amazon you can get a royal purple with the 25 micron glass media
Is it the same price before or after you add shipping charges?

2003 EX
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:03 AM

Always used the cheapest oil of own recommended weight. The walmart brand synthetic is cheap and name brand stuff.... usually change it when oil life shows 15-20% left. Never used oil between fill ups and some vehicles were subjected to extreme racing and heavy towing for many miles.... (those last two examples were not hondas).

So in the end brand wont matter its like gas - all comes from the same place with a tiny difference in additives... but - if being particular helps ya sleep then by all means get some sleep.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGS View Post
Is it the same price before or after you add shipping charges?
I have Prime so 2 day shipping is free.

Last edited by shurguywutt; 06-07-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx12-iowa View Post
Always used the cheapest oil of own recommended weight. The walmart brand synthetic is cheap and name brand stuff.... usually change it when oil life shows 15-20% left. Never used oil between fill ups and some vehicles were subjected to extreme racing and heavy towing for many miles.... (those last two examples were not hondas).

So in the end brand wont matter its like gas - all comes from the same place with a tiny difference in additives... but - if being particular helps ya sleep then by all means get some sleep.
I agree with you as any oil should be sufficient. However, there are HUGE differences in the chemical engineering involved to create top-tier oils. They use more additives, better base stocks (4 and 5), respond better to heat, and just perform better. This is why you don't see race cars and industrial equipment using cheap oils.

Now, will your car be ok if you use the cheapest oil and change it regularly? Yes.
However, when it comes down to it, engineering is engineering, and top tier oils just perform better.

Your driving tendencies have a lot to do with it too.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:34 PM
xGS

Quote:
I have Prime so 2 day shipping is free.
Is Prime free?

2003 EX
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM

I personally use Mobil 1 0w20afe with a Fram Ultra. If you watch for Fram rebates through the year you can get the Ultra for a great price. You certainly don't need to use Honda filters while under warranty. Don't know if you are a Costco member, but I buy the Mobil on sale for 25.99 for a 6 pack of quarts and then combine it with Mobil's rebate of 12.00. Brings the cost of a quart way down. The prices of full syn and regular dino are so close, doesn't make sense not to use full syn. I paid a lot for my Pilot, and the last thing to cheap out on is oil and filter.
shurguywutt likes this.

2016 EX-L with Nav, White Diamond Pearl, Beige Interior
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM

When are you guys changing your oil? When I had my 2006 Pilot, I changed it every 3000 miles even though the dealer said to do it at 5K miles. The engine had 189K miles and was still going strong when i traded it in for my 2017 Pilot. Also, if you change the oil yourself and sometimes down the road, if something is wrong with the engine and had to be worked on how do you prove it to Honda that you changed the oil regularly because if I understand correctly, you need to change the oil and have all your schedule maintenance done as recommended or your Honda Care warranty won't cover it.

2017 Pilot EX-L Black Forest Pearl
2006 Pilot EX-L (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: