Totalled '16 Touring - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Totalled '16 Touring

Was involved in a head on collision 2 weekends ago in the '16 Touring (won't go into more details insurance is still investigating)

I was the driver my wife was in the back seat with my daughter who is in a rear facing car seat.

Here are my thoughts...

1. We were all unharmed, I had some scratches and bruises on my arms from the airbag and a big bruise on my leg just below the knee (I guess my legs hit the dash pretty hard). I firmly believe the vehicle saved our lives right before the impact I thought we were going to be severely injured.

2. 3 airbags deployed. One in the steering wheel, the passenger curtain airbag and the passenger seat airbag (don't know why this deployed nobody was in that seat). The airbags deployed with incredible force, we had a bottle of hand sanitizer in the rear cup holder and the airbag produced enough force to shear the nozzle off of the bottle). The airbags saved me but the curtain and passenger seat airbag were overkill. Honda needs to look into why the passenger seat airbag deployed, the car was smart enough not to deploy the passenger dash airbag it should have been smart enough to not deploy the passenger seat airbag.

3. Immediately after the accident the first thing I remember was the Honda operator asking me if I needed emergency assistance. This feature worked flawlessly.

4. Despite extensive front end damage and a leaking radiator/AC condenser the car still ran. I was able to start it up and move it to the side of the road.

5. All the tech in the car to prevent collisions could do nothing to avoid this accident. However I firmly believe the design of the front impact zones saved our lives. Thank you Honda engineers!!!

If you are on the fence about buying a Pilot don't be. All the tech and look is nice but the vehicle itself is designed to save your life. We were so impressed that we just got a '17 Touring (same color same everything).

Last edited by NickD; 06-02-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Ant

Wow glad you are ok after looking at that picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Modern Metallic Steel Touring

2005 Billet Silver EX-L | OEM Foglights | Bumper Garnish | Auto. Daynight Mirror | Wwong's console Pads | OEM All Season Mats | OEM Chrome Side Steps | OEM Mudguards | Pilot Chrome exhaust finishers | FormFit Air Delflector | OEM Mudguards
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Wow Wholly SH!T.... That is really serious right there. WOW so glad you and your family was OK.

Not an expert but it looks like that offset hit to the front could have jarred someone's head into the side window..> But WOW! Glad you are alright!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:04 PM

We totaled our '05 Pilot in '07.

It did a great job of not harming anyone.

Peace to you and yours.

2007 Honda Ridgeline
2016 Honda Pilot

Last edited by MT Pilot; 06-02-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: changed 'on' to 'in' - proper grammar, Guv'ner!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Wow. Glad everyone is mostly OK.

But I don't understand the complaints about "unnecessary" airbag deployments. Especially the side curtain airbag. AFAIK there are no occupancy sensors for the rear seats, nor warnings for unbuckled passengers in the rear seats. Bad Things Happen when people get ejected from vehicles, and a major role of the side curtain airbags is to keep the occupants inside the vehicle. Impact of unrestrained passengers against the relatively unpadded vehicle sides and windows isn't good either. We don't have details on whether the car got spun around, but I believe there are yaw rate ( spin ) sensors and probably lateral acceleration sensors in addition to impact sensors. In the absence of detailed information on occupancy of the vehicle, the supplemental restraint system must be designed to react as if the car is full of unbuckled little kids.

There are details on all the systems of the car in the service info Anekin007 has posted. Look under "System Descriptions" if you are curious. But I think these airbag deployments fall squarely under the heading of "better safe than sorry". Once again, glad everyone walked away ( and didn't fly away! ).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Glad everyone was okay.

Honda's refusal to add knee air bags to the Pilot redesign really makes me question their integrity. It's like a punishment for not buying the MDX.

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Glad everyone was ok! A head on collision is a serious thing.

Honda did their job in the Pilot's structural integrity and making sure occupants are safe. I didn't know the MDX has knee air bags. Maybe in next year's model we'll get that as a hands me down.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD - Dark Cherry Pearl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 PM

Garage
glad you and the family are okay. please update us when you can on the other vehicle involved when the time is right.

2016 Pilot EX-L - Modern Steel Metallic / Black - 4300K HIDs - Debadged - Blacked Out - TSW MAX Wheels -
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD View Post
Was involved in a head on collision 2 weekends ago in the '16 Touring (won't go into more details insurance is still investigating)

I was the driver my wife was in the back seat with my daughter who is in a rear facing car seat.

Here are my thoughts...

1. We were all unharmed, I had some scratches and bruises on my arms from the airbag and a big bruise on my leg just below the knee (I guess my legs hit the dash pretty hard). I firmly believe the vehicle saved our lives right before the impact I thought we were going to be severely injured.

2. 3 airbags deployed. One in the steering wheel, the passenger curtain airbag and the passenger seat airbag (don't know why this deployed nobody was in that seat). The airbags deployed with incredible force, we had a bottle of hand sanitizer in the rear cup holder and the airbag produced enough force to shear the nozzle off of the bottle). The airbags saved me but the curtain and passenger seat airbag were overkill. Honda needs to look into why the passenger seat airbag deployed, the car was smart enough not to deploy the passenger dash airbag it should have been smart enough to not deploy the passenger seat airbag.

3. Immediately after the accident the first thing I remember was the Honda operator asking me if I needed emergency assistance. This feature worked flawlessly.

4. Despite extensive front end damage and a leaking radiator/AC condenser the car still ran. I was able to start it up and move it to the side of the road.

5. All the tech in the car to prevent collisions could do nothing to avoid this accident. However I firmly believe the design of the front impact zones saved our lives. Thank you Honda engineers!!!

If you are on the fence about buying a Pilot don't be. All the tech and look is nice but the vehicle itself is designed to save your life. We were so impressed that we just got a '17 Touring (same color same everything).
Yikes! Sorry to hear of this misfortune. But, glad to hear all are okay (especially your little one)!

I used to drive a '96 Acura Integra and went head on into the front left corner of a rock solid El Camino going about 30 mph. Although my car was totaled, I walked away with no injuries and actually helped the old lady driving the El Camino.

Needless to say, I trust the Honda engineers! Who would have thought a tiny Acura could stand up to an El Camino?!?! Honda's and Toyota's for this guy!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 AM

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Very curious why collision mitigation didn't help....

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD, dark cherry pearl
mods: Hitch, ATF cooler, cargo tray, wheel locks, all-season mats, splash guards, dual horn (OEM upgrade)
plans: LEDs (int/ext), LLumar tint, PremiumShield Elite paint protection, moonroof deflector
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgebffr View Post
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Very curious why collision mitigation didn't help....

OP did say it was a head-on collision. Honda Sensing wouldn't have been able to stop the other vehicle from running into him.

2016 Touring AWD
White Diamond Pearl w/ Beige interior
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofeejay View Post
OP did say it was a head-on collision. Honda Sensing wouldn't have been able to stop the other vehicle from running into him.

While I'm not a Honda Sensing expert, Tesla and several other CM systems are actively avoiding or reducing head-on collision impacts. The technology is out there, slowly getting better.

I said I was interested in the circumstances to understand what the vehicle DID or didn't do. No need to jump down my throat.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD, dark cherry pearl
mods: Hitch, ATF cooler, cargo tray, wheel locks, all-season mats, splash guards, dual horn (OEM upgrade)
plans: LEDs (int/ext), LLumar tint, PremiumShield Elite paint protection, moonroof deflector
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Probably because Integra's never had sensing. They were great cars though.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Won't help if someone is barreling at you.
sofeejay likes this.

2016 Obsidian Blue Touring -Maxed Out Bling
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianX View Post
Won't help if someone is barreling at you.

... was exactly my point.
ObsidianX likes this.

2016 Touring AWD
White Diamond Pearl w/ Beige interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: