2016 EX-L purchase advice - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2016 EX-L purchase advice

I'm considering purchasing a 2016 EX-L with the Honda Sensing option and 44k miles. The miles are a bit higher that I'd like but the car is priced right, $32k. There are a few perplexing things that show up on the CARFAX that I haven't seen on other similar Pilots. The AC system was serviced at 8k miles, the rear shock absorbers were replaced at 13k miles and the electrical system checked at 18k miles. I asked the sales rep about the items and he told me he didn't have access to the info. I pointed out that the repairs/service took place at his dealership and he passed me on to the service manager who I haven't contacted yet. I may be probing to deep on what I see on the CARFAX but since it isn't what I'd call ordinary service or maintenance I felt compelled to reach out to the forum and see if anyone has any info that may help me make a decision about the Pilot. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM

I certainly don't consider shock replacement at 13K miles a normal service either. Interested to see what the service manager tells you. Maybe someone got tired up putting up with a lemon when they traded it in.

2016 EX-L with Nav, White Diamond Pearl, Beige Interior
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM
xGS

Some owners have complained about unusual noises emanating from the rear shock absorbers when traversing uneven pavement.
Apparently this is considered to be a "normal" characteristic of their design.
Maybe the dealer replaced the rear shocks in an attempt to resolve this issue.
See this thread: Suspension noise on bumpy roads

2003 EX

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM
tsw

is it an AWD? you can get a new 17 EXL with Honda Sensing and AWD for around $38k (depending on where you are)... why take the risk? especially if it's not AWD..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll keep looking. I was trying to limit the amount paid for a Pilot that's why I was looking for a used 2016. I definitely want AWD and will look at 2017 EX models.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem View Post
I'm considering purchasing a 2016 EX-L with the Honda Sensing option and 44k miles. The miles are a bit higher that I'd like but the car is priced right, $32k. There are a few perplexing things that show up on the CARFAX that I haven't seen on other similar Pilots. The AC system was serviced at 8k miles, the rear shock absorbers were replaced at 13k miles and the electrical system checked at 18k miles. I asked the sales rep about the items and he told me he didn't have access to the info. I pointed out that the repairs/service took place at his dealership and he passed me on to the service manager who I haven't contacted yet. I may be probing to deep on what I see on the CARFAX but since it isn't what I'd call ordinary service or maintenance I felt compelled to reach out to the forum and see if anyone has any info that may help me make a decision about the Pilot. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'd stay away from this one. You save a few thousand dollars but could possibly inherit a money pit. Personally, I'd rather spend the few thousand more to get a brand new, fully warranted vehicle.

If the few thousand is what is causing you to not buy this car, maybe you are purchasing more car than you should afford (sorry, that's the financial advisor in me)?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM

$32K for a '16 EX-L is too close to what you can buy a '17 EX-L for.

2017 Pilot EX-L 2WD Lunar Silver with Gray Leather
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:13 PM
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical808 View Post
If the few thousand is what is causing you to not buy this car, maybe you are purchasing more car than you should afford (sorry, that's the financial advisor in me)?
Unfortunately, nobody wants to hear that sort of pragmatic advice.
I've tried to make that point a few times and the reception it receives is anything but warm.

Typically someone will post here that they bought a 10-year-old Pilot with over 100K miles on it during the last year and now this, that and the other thing needs to be repaired and/or replaced and that they can't afford it. The lament usually ends with a comment to the effect that they thought Hondas were reliable. Reliable doesn't mean that some parts won't eventually wear out or break, let alone that no maintenance is ever required.

2003 EX
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM

For a 44k 2016 exl at $32k that seems quite high of a price. I am sure you can negotiate lower, if this is absolutely the car you want and dont have the luxury of time. I got my 2016 exl awd with nav for $37250 before tax with 8800 miles and clean record. I am sure you can do better.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:05 AM

Good lord, don't buy someone else's headache when you can buy a 17 w/ CarPlay for another few thousand bucks.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD, dark cherry pearl
mods: Hitch, ATF cooler, cargo tray, wheel locks, all-season mats, splash guards, dual horn (OEM upgrade)
plans: LEDs (int/ext), LLumar tint, PremiumShield Elite paint protection, moonroof deflector
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info., that's what I was looking for. In my own defense the prices for used 2016 Pilots in Minnesota seem higher than in other parts of the country. I was looking for a used 2016 EX but prices in Minneapolis are near or above the $32 listed for the EX-L. I will entertain soliciting quotes on 2017 Pilots and see what happens. Again thanks to the forum group you've been very helpful. If anyone out there has a good Minneapolis dealer I should contact let me know.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Just a thought, maybe get some bids from out of state and fly down and pick it up. Done that on RV's in the past and saved a ton.

In Texas my '17 EX-L was $35,295 with a window sticker of $37,355. Not a big discount, when the local GM/Ford stores are advertising their stuff with almost a 10K discount. But who wants a Chevy?

2017 Pilot EX-L 2WD Lunar Silver with Gray Leather
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM

Send email for new pilot to South Florida dealerships AWD not in demand in Florida so you can get good price and drive home.I got my 2016 EXL 2WD out of door for 36.500 for 2017 you will pay 300 more plus extra for AWD. Used car is like lottery you can get good car or nightmare.

This one example https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5638/overview/

Last edited by Romka101; 04-21-2017 at 11:29 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Last week my family and I were on vacation in Sarasota, Florida and I noticed many dealers with 2016 Honda Pilots in stock. We ended up purchasing one and driving it back to Virginia. The cost of the 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD was $32,855 plus tax, tags, and dealer doc fees - it had $500 in dealer add-ons thrown in (pin stripes, nitrogen, wheel well moldings). There was one dealer in particular that offered an extremely competitive price via email before we left for Florida, and we actually stopped by and test drove it when we visited their dealership, but they wouldn't budge on their very competitive price and were about $900 higher than the place where we ended up purchasing the vehicle. The dealer with the extremely competitive price that was provided via email still has that 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD in black forest pearl available according to their web site. There was a third dealer, also with a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD in black forest pearl that wanted $1500 more, and when we got back to Virginia they had dropped their asking price a bit, but not by $1500. They also have their Pilot still listed on their website. Had we been in Florida at the end of April, and had the 2016 Pilot EX-L AWDs still been available, I think I could have bought one for even less than $32,855 plus tax, tags, and dealer doc fees. There were a few other Honda dealers on the east coast of Florida who also seemed to have an excess 2016 Honda Pilot inventory, but getting from Sarasota to them was about 3 hours one-way and I couldn't get a significantly lower price commitment from them over the phone. I hope this helps.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Those are really good prices. I will definitely broaden my search radius. I've never bought a car from a dealer before so this is uncharted territory for me. The used car market is tight up in Minnesota even more so if you want a newer vehicle. So I've been scouring the net looking for a fairly reliable site to help me determine the invoice price of a 2017 Pilot. Thanks again for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: