3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tactical808
  • 1 Post By Flyboy
  • 1 Post By skyfree

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 Speed Transmission cycle

Searched the site and couldn't find a straight forward answer.

I have about 10,000 KM in the truck and noticed an issue when pulling away from a stop light. This happens when the truck is warm only as I've yet to experience when not at operating temperature.

Normal driving in Econ mode and I approach a stop light:

After the 2-3 minute delay waiting for the light to change, it's time to accelerate. The accelerator is pressed and the truck feels sluggish trying to obtain speed. Press harder on the accelerator and the transmission drops a gear ( I believe to 1st ) and acceleration is normal.

I'm wondering if the transmission hasn't finished the downshift cycle properly before stopping and perhaps is still "learning"? Has anyone else had this minor hick-up?

The MM is at 80% and trying to avoid time spent at the dealership if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Keep on Keep'n on.....

2016 Pilot EXL-RES Obsidian Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz-e View Post
Searched the site and couldn't find a straight forward answer.

I have about 10,000 KM in the truck and noticed an issue when pulling away from a stop light. This happens when the truck is warm only as I've yet to experience when not at operating temperature.

Normal driving in Econ mode and I approach a stop light:

After the 2-3 minute delay waiting for the light to change, it's time to accelerate. The accelerator is pressed and the truck feels sluggish trying to obtain speed. Press harder on the accelerator and the transmission drops a gear ( I believe to 1st ) and acceleration is normal.

I'm wondering if the transmission hasn't finished the downshift cycle properly before stopping and perhaps is still "learning"? Has anyone else had this minor hick-up?

The MM is at 80% and trying to avoid time spent at the dealership if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
I think Econ mode is your problem. I have an Elite and played with Econ mode the other week. The Pilot functions very sluggish in Econ mode (felt like there was zero power). It was so sluggish I'm never touching the button again.

I haven't done any research on it and not planning to. In my personal opinion, if you buy a vehicle, there should only be one mode. I don't see the benefit of having an Econ mode unless it is needed for a specific driving condition. If I wanted to save on gas, I would have bought a hybrid. Again, my opinion.
Jazz-e likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM

I have to agree with Tactical808, ECON is most likely your culprit. Tried it in my EX-L for a week and it felt like I was anchored to the curb. Turned it off, never to be touched again. Pilot runs like a "scalded dog" now.

P.S. Mileage is virtually the same.
Jazz-e likes this.

2017 Pilot AWD Touring in Dark Cherry Pearl

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 PM

humm.....WHERE IS THE 6 SPEED TRANS ISSUE STICKY - HEY MOD'S ARE YOU OUT THERE?

Anyway, with the Touring, it does have about "four modes/moods" of driving.

1. Econ on, D setting. I can drive around like the old man I am. I'll get going when I can/want to and if you honk at me we can discuss who it "number one" = 99% of the time I drive the car.
2. Econ off, D setting. "Hey punk" do you really think you can get off the line faster than me. You have to judge/know the car the "punk" is driving = .5% of the time I drive the car
3. Econ off, S setting. Ok, "punk" might get me but lets see how bad he wants it = .4% of the time I drive the car.
4. Econ off, S setting and use the paddles. Ok "punk is going to get me but I'm going to make him work for it = .1% of the time I drive the car.

Don't get me wrong, I love to use the paddles anytime some decides to tailgate me and we are slowing/coming to a stop .

66 Chevelle..78 F150..89 Accord LXi 5 spd..07 Accord EXL..07 Pilot EX-L..16 Pilot Touring AWD

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Turn off the Econ mode and see what you think. I tried out the Econ mode when I first got my car and then shut it off and have never used it again.

2016 EX-L with Nav, White Diamond Pearl, Beige Interior
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I have to agree with Tactical808, ECON is most likely your culprit. Tried it in my EX-L for a week and it felt like I was anchored to the curb. Turned it off, never to be touched again. Pilot runs like a "scalded dog" now.

P.S. Mileage is virtually the same.
X2...

2017 Pilot EX-L 2WD Lunar Silver with Gray Leather
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM

I agree with others. I tried Econ mode and it wouldn't go anywhere without a delay. I won't try it again unless there is a software update to fix it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Econ mode messes with more than throttle response.
I don't use it either.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Another vote for not using Econ mode. I'm pretty sure I experienced the same thing. Without Econ I'm very happy with the transmission shift points of the 6-speed. I drive in the mountains a lot and it will even hold higher revs on downhill sections.

I did my own Econ On/Off comparison. With Econ on I averaged 21.125 in mixed city/highway driving mostly going back and forth to work. This is hand-calculated on an entire tank. My next tank I switched it off and got 21.77 in similar conditions hand-calculated. Since then I never turned it back on and my next 2 tanks have been 24.9 and 23.9 with a mixture of commuting and driving up and back to Tahoe from the Bay Area (6,500 foot climb and drop). I'm super happy with that.
Jazz-e likes this.

2017 EX-L AWD w/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: