Pilot EXL 2017 Acceleration - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pilot EXL 2017 Acceleration

Hi guys,

New to the forum as well SUV in general. I got my pilot last month and have put around 1000 miles on it. My driving is around 90% city and 10% freeway, most of the time with stop and go traffic.
What I've noticed is that my pilot accelerates really slow, revving upward to 3000 rpm from a stop and I can clearly hear the engine revving up and pulling. And sometimes it feels like the car struggle to accelerate smoothly. I was expecting the car to be a little more quite and better acceleration. So I just wanted to see if this is normal behavior and how yours compare. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Is the Econ mode on? Do you see a little green tree on your dash?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

no, it is not on. I've tried it with econ on and off. The difference that I observed was that with the ECON off I feel the engine turning quick but the car doesn't really accelerate. With ECON on, it feels like the engine revs less but it feels more control and less noise coming from the engine.
I came from an acura tl 12 yrs old and it was better at accelerating. Never had an SUV before, so it feels really weird as if something is flipping and not clicking to actually pull the car forward.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 AM
xGS

See if you can get the engine to rev above 4000 rpm.

2003 EX
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the suggestion. Will try it. What should I observe with this test? Is it to break in the engine?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:17 AM
xGS

Nothing to do with break-in.

At higher rpm the i-VTEC system switches to a higher-lift, longer-duration intake cam profile to generate increased engine power.
The change should be obvious.

ObsidianX likes this.

2003 EX
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws2112 View Post
no, it is not on. I've tried it with econ on and off. The difference that I observed was that with the ECON off I feel the engine turning quick but the car doesn't really accelerate. With ECON on, it feels like the engine revs less but it feels more control and less noise coming from the engine.
I came from an acura tl 12 yrs old and it was better at accelerating. Never had an SUV before, so it feels really weird as if something is flipping and not clicking to actually pull the car forward.
Just my 2 cents ... Compared to my Accord v6, I find the Pilot noticeably faster. I would speculate that the Pilot is faster than your TL as well though by a narrower margin.

2016 Touring AWD in Cali
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF6H9GKNW View Post
Just my 2 cents ... Compared to my Accord v6, I find the Pilot noticeably faster. I would speculate that the Pilot is faster than your TL as well though by a narrower margin.
We are both running on ZF9 trannys with ratios for good pick up. Don't think the 6 speed is as quick. Shouldn't be a dog though.. def faster than most of the competition.

2016 Obsidian Blue Touring -Maxed Out Bling
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 AM

My EXL is a beast with Econ off. Never had to floor the gas pedal. I have to pay extra attention to speed limit.
OTmom likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:13 AM

That just does not sound normal to me. I would have someone at the service dept at your dealer take a drive with you to check it out. I agree with Npbk, as my 2016 with Econ off takes off very quickly with just a nudge of the gas pedal. My driving is also about 90% around town.
OTmom likes this.

2016 EX-L with Nav, White Diamond Pearl, Beige Interior
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Only had our Pilot for two weeks and haven't noticed any slow accelerations. Even my wife (main driver) that hardly knows much about cars actually just mentioned to me on how the Pilot (Elite 9-speed) seems to take off faster compared to her old Odyssey V6 6-speed.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks all for the reply. I think I notice this issue most during traffic where I constantly have to stop and go. The engine seems to drag and there's apparent noise coming from it to pull forward. I'll have it checked at the dealer to be safe.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:25 AM

Test drive another one and see if there is a difference. Also, have someone from the dealership drive yours with you to see if driving style is contributing. Switch drivers half way and notice the difference.

2017 EX-L AWD w/Nav
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 PM

My wife was used to driving our CR-V which also had Econ. Now in the Pilot, she seems to use the same amount of accelerator pressure on the Pilot instead of gauging by sound and movement and I have to constantly remind her of having a lead foot for all the jackrabbit starts. The Pilot is definitely no slouch, even in Econ.

2016 Pilot Touring - Steel Sapphire, Hood Air Deflector, Tinted upper windshield and front windows, Sunroof deflector, Body side moldings, Front bumper chrome trim, Door edge film, Chrome tailgate trim, Folding cargo tray and cargo cover, Splash guards, Honda all season floor mats
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornevet View Post
That just does not sound normal to me. I would have someone at the service dept at your dealer take a drive with you to check it out. I agree with Npbk, as my 2016 with Econ off takes off very quickly with just a nudge of the gas pedal. My driving is also about 90% around town.

Agree that something sounds wrong. I might have a lead foot (too many years driving emergency vehicles), even with Econ on, my EX-L AWD is first off the line without much effort at all.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD, dark cherry pearl
mods: Hitch, ATF cooler, cargo tray, wheel locks, all-season mats, splash guards, dual horn (OEM upgrade)
plans: LEDs (int/ext), LLumar tint, PremiumShield Elite paint protection, moonroof deflector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: