Knocking sound under trunk - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Npbk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Knocking sound under trunk

Finally got my pilot after a long wait. We put 100+ miles on it last week and luckily didn't see any issues folks here had: radio signal, seat heating, wind noise, tailgate misalignment, paint bumbles, etc. Before I am overly excited about the new car, I did notice a knocking / squeaky / clicking noise from the bottom or under the bottom of trunk. I am not good at describing noise but it sounds like little rocks hitting panels under the trunk. But the roads I drove on seems clear and rock / sand free. I also heard it during idle (maybe illusion). It showed up after 50 miles. On bumpy road it didn't get worse. I checked the rear plate frame and it's very tight. I am going to check the tools for spare tire but the noise seems to be from outside the car. Anyone had similar issue?

2017 Pilot EXL AWD Sensing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npbk View Post
Finally got my pilot after a long wait. We put 100+ miles on it last week and luckily didn't see any issues folks here had: radio signal, seat heating, wind noise, tailgate misalignment, paint bumbles, etc. Before I am overly excited about the new car, I did notice a knocking / squeaky / clicking noise from the bottom or under the bottom of trunk. I am not good at describing noise but it sounds like little rocks hitting panels under the trunk. But the roads I drove on seems clear and rock / sand free. I also heard it during idle (maybe illusion). It showed up after 50 miles. On bumpy road it didn't get worse. I checked the rear plate frame and it's very tight. I am going to check the tools for spare tire but the noise seems to be from outside the car. Anyone had similar issue?
Knocking/squeaky/clicking...ha, can't think any one item that can have so many sound characteristics.

Check the spare tire as well, that is the only thing i can think of on the exterior that could cause problems. Maybe check your mudflaps to see if they are a snug fit? Last place I would check is the flat tire tools as you mentioned. Maybe the dealer put the wheel lock key in there and it's rolling around?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical808 View Post
Knocking/squeaky/clicking...ha, can't think any one item that can have so many sound characteristics.

Check the spare tire as well, that is the only thing i can think of on the exterior that could cause problems. Maybe check your mudflaps to see if they are a snug fit? Last place I would check is the flat tire tools as you mentioned. Maybe the dealer put the wheel lock key in there and it's rolling around?
Thanks for the suggestions. Knocking is more accurate I would say, like the knocking sound when your radiator at home cools off. I haven't installed mudflaps yet (just got the car). The wheel lock key and replaced bolts are in the glove box. I tried to shake the spare tire and it was firmly installed. Hopefully it's not mechanical issue like differential.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Knocking is more accurate I would say, like the knocking sound when your radiator at home cools off. I haven't installed mudflaps yet (just got the car). The wheel lock key and replaced bolts are in the glove box. I tried to shake the spare tire and it was firmly installed. Hopefully it's not mechanical issue like differential.
Funny you mention this (well, not really) but I think I've heard the same thing. I originally thought it might have to do something with my running boards, but they seem pretty intact. Debris on winter roads was my other thought. I'll continue to monitor. When it gets warmer/drier, I'll get underneath the car to take a look. I have about 6,800 miles on the car.

Sorry, I know this wasn't really helpful but at least you know you're not the only one. If I end up finding out something, will definitely share.

2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD - White Diamond Pearl
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonz822 View Post
Funny you mention this (well, not really) but I think I've heard the same thing. I originally thought it might have to do something with my running boards, but they seem pretty intact. Debris on winter roads was my other thought. I'll continue to monitor. When it gets warmer/drier, I'll get underneath the car to take a look. I have about 6,800 miles on the car.

Sorry, I know this wasn't really helpful but at least you know you're not the only one. If I end up finding out something, will definitely share.
Thanks for the input. Glad I'm not the only one (well, not really, nobody likes problems on a new car and I wish none of piloteers have to deal with issues) I don't have running boards and doubt it's because of weather element either, over here the weather has been more or less the same since I brought the car home, but the noise didn't show up in the first 50 miles (I drive on same roads from home to work everyday)

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Don't just jiggle the spare tire. Get the tools out and give the winch another turn. If nothing else, then you will know where the tools are located. And yes, the tools can rattle too.

Plastic panels can flap around too if the fasteners aren't snug. There was even a TSB for squeaking of the plastic panel above the radiator. And it's always possible you got a pebble or an errant "spare part" caught on top of the front spray shield or some other nook or cranny. Those plastic panels are great resonators.

Last edited by Wanderer; 03-20-2017 at 05:02 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Garage
OK, it's time to let her out.

Seriously though, yes, lower and raise the spare, which at the same time will let you check if your spare tool and jack are properly stowed. Mine wasn't once and rattled a good bit. (My jack, not my mother-in-law.)

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM

It's also possible that a few things are moving around from heat cycles. It's very common for a new car to snap crackle and pop as it heats up and cools off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2016 EX-L Steel Sapphire on Grey
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all the folks above. Now my number one suspect is the exhaust system (breaking in?). After I shut off the car, I can hear the snap crackle and pop sound (yes TWINTRBO it does sound like rice krispies when milk poured in) outside the car. It is very similar to what I hear in car when driving, just much louder when driving (It can only be heard outside the car after shutting off, ) Since I posted the thread, the noise showed up less often then it used to. I will keep monitoring it and see if it completely goes away shortly.
TWINTRBO likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

It's cold today after a few warm days. The noise is back. @Dragonz822 dude did you only hear it in cold days?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
It's cold today after a few warm days. The noise is back. @Dragonz822 dude did you only hear it in cold days?
I've heard it before when it was warmer in the fall. Every now and then in the winter, but I haven't heard it recently. Keeping my ears open.

2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD - White Diamond Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: