Ironchef Audio System - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By Ironchef2015

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ironchef Audio System

I've finally, hopefully, settled on the audio system in my 2017 Pilot EXL. Here are the details:

• Tweeters: JL Audio C3-100ct with C3-650 Crossovers
  • Front Doors: JL Audio C2-650cw
  • Rear Doors: JL Audio C2-650x
  • Subwoofer: JL Audio Micro Sub CP208LG-W3v3
  • Sub Amplifier: NVX MVPA1

The installation of the oversized 1" tweeters into the factory location required some fairly extensive trimming of the external trim ring. But once done and connected to the crossovers set at -4db, the sound was spot on for my tastes.

The door installations are detailed elsewhere in this forum and are pretty straightforward.

As for the amplifier, I fabricated a bracket that would allow the amp to mounted in the factory location of the passenger footwell. Not only is this location a perfect fit, it required a minimal wiring run and is easily adjustable while remaining hidden. Of note, I was not able to locate the subwoofer output wires in the loom running to the cargo area. I know others have had success here but I believe that was with higher models than the EXL that have the additional amplifier. Instead, I had to remove the head unit and tapped the output there. There is a completely separate wiring harness on the EXL radio just for the sub output so it's easy to spot.

Lastly came the sub. I chose to go with the JL Audio Micro Sub because it was down fireable, met the height requirements of the little cargo trunk and has a great reputation for clean, accurate bass. And it delivers on all of that in spades. While it doesn't rattle the whole car, it provides for a massive increase in musical depth and feel. It's capable of hitting hard in digital/rap tracks and can power through deep classical instruments as well.

In all, for a system that doesn't alter the factory signal and has just the sub amp, I couldn't be happier. It's a truly amazing transformation from stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot_Tweeter.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	104074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp_2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	104082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp_3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	104090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot_Sub_2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	104098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot_Sub_1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	104106  

2017 EXL AWD, MDX Advance 20" Wheels, 265/50/20 Tires, JL Audio, VCM Muzzler, AEM, Morimoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM

Clean installation of those tweeters. Nicely done.

Just to clarify, are you feeding the factory "front door speaker" signals into the JL passive crossover and splitting off the tweeter and front door speaker wires from there? Are you using factory speaker wires or did you run your own? Just curious.

Spring has sprung ( again ), and my garage is no longer a walk-in fridge or freezer.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Last edited by Wanderer; 03-20-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: duplicate post

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Clean installation of those tweeters. Nicely done.

Just to clarify, are you feeding the factory "front door speaker" signals into the JL passive crossover and splitting off the tweeter and front door speaker wires from there? Are you using factory speaker wires or did you run your own? Just curious.

Spring has sprung ( again ), and my garage is no longer a walk-in fridge or freezer.
Thanks! It took a steady hand with the dremel but it was worth it in the end.

As for the wiring, the door speakers run off the factory wiring in that location just as before. What I ended up doing with the tweeters is taking the stock signal and making that the input on the crossover. Then the tweeter output from the crossover feeds the new tweeters. The midrange output is left alone.

I did this because it provided, to my tastes, a much smoother sound than the inline crossovers and gave me the ability to reduce the sound as well.

2017 EXL AWD, MDX Advance 20" Wheels, 265/50/20 Tires, JL Audio, VCM Muzzler, AEM, Morimoto
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM

2017 honda pilot sucks with the factory speakers. It's fine on mid volume but once you turn it up the audio starts to crack and the quality sounds horrible.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyJr Elliott View Post
2017 honda pilot sucks with the factory speakers. It's fine on mid volume but once you turn it up the audio starts to crack and the quality sounds horrible.
What model do you have?

2016 Honda Pilot, Touring (Elite)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: