Shifting to park before engine off? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifting to park before engine off?

So I have 9-speed transition in my 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD. With push button transmission control, do I need to shift to park before hitting engine stop? It seems to do the right thing and is more convenient just to hit the stop button, but will this hurt anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 PM

As long as the car is fully stopped, it doesn't really matter which way you do it. It is designed to automatically shift into park when you hit the "start/stop" button. I'm a bit old school, so I usually hit the "Park" button first, but I have accessorized the "Park" button with rubber nubs so I'm reasonably confident I'm punching the right button! There. I finally got a chance to vent about the push-button shifter. It's been a while...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 PM

Hello manual my old friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tactical808 and Yoda like this.

2016 Touring AWD
White Diamond Pearl w/ Beige interior

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 AM
XV8

Should press Park button first. I noticed the few times that I pressed the Start/Stop prior to Park, the Pilot does go into Park mode.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
So I have 9-speed transition in my 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD. With push button transmission control, do I need to shift to park before hitting engine stop? It seems to do the right thing and is more convenient just to hit the stop button, but will this hurt anything?
You should be okay. But, personally, I always shift into park, remove my foot from the brake, and make sure the Pilot "rolls" into park (the rocking feeling where you know the park "gear" is engaged). Then i shut off the Pilot.

With two young kids I take no chances. The few seconds that it takes to verify the Pilot is in park is well worth the time versus a trip to the ER if the Pilot were to roll over one of the kids or even myself.
Rhm likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:35 PM

I'm going to have to check it tonight but I feel like what I experience is different. If I hit start/stop with the vehicle still in drive it won't go into park automatically, even if I am stopped. I need to hit start/stop again, put it into park and then turn off the vehicle.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:07 PM

Shifting to park before engine off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpete View Post
I'm going to have to check it tonight but I feel like what I experience is different. If I hit start/stop with the vehicle still in drive it won't go into park automatically, even if I am stopped. I need to hit start/stop again, put it into park and then turn off the vehicle.

If that is what it is doing, something is wrong. The auto shift to park was added to mitigate roll-off accidents. The thing will even shift to park if you open the driver's door with the trans in drive, which is a bit of a problem for backing a small trailer.
Yoda and EFICTION like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 PM

I checked and I was wrong.

If the vehicle is in drive but stopped (foot on brake) and I push start/stop the transmission will go into park after about a second. The vehicle then automatically goes into Acc mode and you have to press start/stop again with your foot off the brake to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:06 PM

I never put the Pilot in Park before pushing the Start/Stop button to turn off the engine. It goes into Park automatically. And mine does not go into ACC Mode, when I do this.
Yoda and Dacsoft like this.

2016 Pilot Touring AWD - Black/Grey
WeatherTech floor mats, Moon Roof Visor, Trailer Hitch w/ATF cooler.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'm a bit old school, so I usually hit the "Park" button first
My school must be older than yours: I shift into park & apply the parking brake before shutting the engine off & removing my foot from the brake pedal.

IMO this minimizes any potential for auto roll and it's impact, no matter how minor, on the transmission.
mulooram likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 PM

I always use the Parking Brake. Whether, I need it or not. Old School.
mulooram likes this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:10 AM

The downside to doing the "old school" way - I've just pulled into a parking spot, car still in drive, foot on brake, and the Pilot goes into "sleep" mode (engine shuts down). If I then press "Park," the engine comes back on, only for me to turn it off with the Start/Stop button. So, doing it "old school," I've introduced another start/stop cycle on the starter & engine, even if only momentarily.

That said, I usually press "Park," then "Start/Stop," out of habit. But I'm considering trying to make a habit of just pressing "Start/Stop" instead, to keep it from starting up for a second (unnecessarily) before I shut it down.
jshirley, huntergts and koojo like this.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 PM

I never use the "sleep mode" option. I don't think I would be saving that much gas vs the hassle of the engine going to sleep all the time.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Sorry. I dozed off there. What were you saying?

I used the parking brake all the time when it was actuated by a big lever right next to the sumptuous leather knob on the 5-speed manual shift stick. ( Sob, I really miss that ). Of course, I would have had to contort my arm around the raised parking brake lever to shift the car if I didn't lower the stupid thing first. With the cleverly hidden foot pedal next to the dead pedal, I only remember I have set the thing after the brakes start screeching and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and starts chiming at me. Yeesh. But it is somewhat soothing when I park next to a cliff.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDriverDan View Post
The downside to doing the "old school" way - I've just pulled into a parking spot, car still in drive, foot on brake, and the Pilot goes into "sleep" mode (engine shuts down). If I then press "Park," the engine comes back on, only for me to turn it off with the Start/Stop button. So, doing it "old school," I've introduced another start/stop cycle on the starter & engine, even if only momentarily.
I've also noticed this very annoying fact. Happens every time I drive my car into my garage. I'll have to try pressing the Start/Stop without the Park.

2017 Pilot Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: