5Likes
  • 2 Post By sofeejay
  • 2 Post By Wanderer
  • 1 Post By Tactical808

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why press lock twice?

I'm reading the manual for the 2017 EX-L RES I picked up today and I can't seem to figure one thing out. Why would one have to press LOCK on their fob twice when according to the manual the factory alarm gets set with the first push of the LOCK button. See screen capture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	103370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitgrad View Post
I'm reading the manual for the 2017 EX-L RES I picked up today and I can't seem to figure one thing out. Why would one have to press LOCK on their fob twice when according to the manual the factory alarm gets set with the first push of the LOCK button. See screen capture below.
Read the manual. Second press confirms security system is set. No need to press twice.

2016 Pilot Touring - Steel Sapphire, Hood Air Deflector, Tinted upper windshield and front windows, Sunroof deflector, Body side moldings, Front bumper chrome trim, Door edge film, Chrome tailgate trim, Folding cargo tray and cargo cover, Splash guards, Honda all season floor mats
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre007 View Post
Read the manual. Second press confirms security system is set. No need to press twice.
I did read the manual I just don't see the logic to it....why would you need to confirm it (by pressing twice)? Pressing it once makes an audible beep and confirms that the alarm has been activated. What does the second button push do that the first button push didn't already do?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Make a sound. Ever had those times when you second guessed yourself if you've locked your car?

*Beep*.

I thought I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pierre007 and Badgebffr like this.

2016 Touring AWD
White Diamond Pearl w/ Beige interior
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 PM

First press does more that set the security system. It also locks all the doors. Just like if you set up to auto-lock, you get one beep when you close the door and after you are about 6-8 feet away you get a second beep. You don't need to press a second time if it bothers you.

2016 Pilot Touring - Steel Sapphire, Hood Air Deflector, Tinted upper windshield and front windows, Sunroof deflector, Body side moldings, Front bumper chrome trim, Door edge film, Chrome tailgate trim, Folding cargo tray and cargo cover, Splash guards, Honda all season floor mats
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre007 View Post
You don't need to press a second time if it bothers you.
Doesn't bother me at all, was just trying to figure out why it's even mentioned in the manual.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

It's a great tool to find your car in a crowded NFL stadium or mall.
Also fun to scare the kids as they cross in front of the car.
But why mention it? Perhaps they wanted people to know what the beep means.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 PM

I don't use the "walk-away auto lock" feature, but I also don't use the fob button to lock the car anymore. I push the button on the door handle once, and it cheerfully beeps to let me know it got the message. On our older Honda/Acuras I usually push the fob button twice to get the beep. I like validation. It makes me feel special.

But seriously, if for some reason it can't lock the doors, for instance if a door or hatch isn't fully closed, it won't beep. That is useful.
Yoda and deffdino like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I did read the manual I just don't see the logic to it....why would you need to confirm it (by pressing twice)? Pressing it once makes an audible beep and confirms that the alarm has been activated. What does the second button push do that the first button push didn't already do?
My 2016 seems to work differently from yours. The first press simply locks the doors and flashes lights; no beep. I always hit the button at least twice so i can audibly here the beep. To me, that confirms that it is set (even though it's set with the first push).

Everyone has their own "rituals". For me, two clicks with a beep works. For you, it might just be the one push. Either case, not the end of the world what option to choose as long as the Pilot locks as expected.
Pierre007 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical808 View Post
My 2016 seems to work differently from yours. The first press simply locks the doors and flashes lights; no beep. I always hit the button at least twice so i can audibly here the beep. To me, that confirms that it is set (even though it's set with the first push).

Everyone has their own "rituals". For me, two clicks with a beep works. For you, it might just be the one push. Either case, not the end of the world what option to choose as long as the Pilot locks as expected.
Mine works the same way too. No beep on the first press, doors lock and a light flash. 2nd press of the button produces the same plus an audible beep.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I just realized that mine does not beep on the first push either so I can see now why it makes sense to press it twice. I actually found this morning that it's just easier to push the lock button on the door handle since it's the equivalent of pushing the remote's button twice.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:

You're really overthinking this.

Audio feedback of the alarm set (provided its set up that way in your custom settings via touchscreen.). If you don't need to verify, don't push twice.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD, dark cherry pearl
mods: Hitch, ATF cooler, cargo tray, wheel locks, all-season mats, splash guards, dual horn (OEM upgrade)
plans: LEDs (int/ext), LLumar tint, PremiumShield Elite paint protection, moonroof deflector
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Some people may not like to have it beep at him. If you do, press it one more time.

2016 Touring (Canadian), Obsidian Blue with running boards; Tow package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: