Need comments on C&D test - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need comments on C&D test

Hello. This is my first post on the forum. I currently have a 2005 Pilot and am researching before a possible change to either a 2017 Pilot or a Toyota Highlander. Car and Driver has a 40000 mile long term test report. It is available on their website but I don't have enough posts to include a link.

I would be very interested in comments on this test. Our current Pilot has 123000 miles on it, but is our only car during the winter months when our two sports cars are in storage. I have driven a 2017 Touring at the dealer, but would probably go for a EX-L with nav. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Personally I thought the long-term C&D was a fair review.

John Philips and I feel similar in that there are so many little annoyances with this vehicle that it's hard to recommend. It's really is fussy and the closest thing to a minivan an SUV can get without a sliding door - which makes the drive less sport and more utility.

Whenever a friend asks me about the Pilot I want to say that I love it. Instead I go through all the things that bug me and then say something like "but if I had the choice to buy it again or something different, I would still buy the Pilot".

Pete

2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM

It was actually one of the C&D reviews that really peeked my interest in the Pilot to begin with (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	103346  

2016 Touring AWD in Cali

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej615 View Post
Hello. This is my first post on the forum. I currently have a 2005 Pilot and am researching before a possible change to either a 2017 Pilot or a Toyota Highlander. Car and Driver has a 40000 mile long term test report. It is available on their website but I don't have enough posts to include a link.

I would be very interested in comments on this test. Our current Pilot has 123000 miles on it, but is our only car during the winter months when our two sports cars are in storage. I have driven a 2017 Touring at the dealer, but would probably go for a EX-L with nav. Thanks in advance for your comments.
I avoided the Touring because of all the irritating quirks.

Ben's Blog: I'm A Luddite
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Garage
I have a 2016 Touring AWD. I haven't experienced any of the transmission issues others have talked about. I am seeing weird issues with the hatch; instead of rehashing them here, you can look-up my prior posts.

I also don't have an issue with the idle auto-off. It did take a bit to get used to and now, when at a light, I will restart the engine a second or two before the light turns green. Conversely, I also keep Eco mode on. Between those two technologies and the fact I don't drive like I'm at a dragstrip (unlike these car mags), I am returning about 25MPG per tank, with an average of 24.3MPG since July 1st. I have about 14K miles on the odometer. I get way over 350 miles per tank, using about 16.5 gallons, using Tier I gas (Citgo, in my case). I believe the choice of fuel is really important since crappy gas = crappy mileage. "Real" gas didn't seem to change these numbers much.

The car seems to like hot weather over colder; every time the temperature drops to the 50s or lower, mileage seems to drop-off a bit regardless of whether I'm running the heater or heated seats. This could be related to the ethanol in the gas.

As far as other cars go, there isn't anything out there that can touch the Pilot in terms of carrying people and cargo without getting a minivan or truck, AND returns this kind of economy and ease of use. This is my third one (2010, 2013, 2016), all Touring AWDs. I miss the distinctive styling of the previous generation, but the interior more than makes up for it.

There has been criticism over the fingerprint and dust magnetic that doubles as a touchscreen, and while I agree with those critiques, I simply use some eyeglass cleaner and cloth to clean it up (and also the black trim around the center console). Additionally, you can setup the system so that you don't even need to touch the screen at all, including when changing source inputs. The Nav system kicks ass, as does the voice recognition system. As a matter of fact, I simply speak the address I want to go to and almost every time, it gets it right the first time. I almost exclusively use my phone to stream music to the car via Bluetooth.

The push-button transmission setup is just odd and unintuitive, but I'm used to it now and whenever I drive my wife's 2015 CR-V, I feel like I am in the stone age when I have to pull the lever to put it into gear, lol.

I find it retarded that Honda decided that only the "elite" gets HID lighting, ventilated seats, and the panoramic sunroof. Frankly, I can add HID lights myself inexpensively, but I really like ventilated seats, but losing a seating position and not really getting a proper second-row center console wasn't worth the extra bank.

Finally, Dark Forest Green is the only color that looks good.
MacsPilot likes this.

The dead are dead.
The living are dying.

The dead know only one thing: It is better to be alive.

2010 Pilot Touring AWD Obsidian Blue, traded for...
2013 Pilot Touring AWD Cherry Mica AND a 2013 CR-V Touring AWD, traded for...
2016 Pilot Touring AWD Dark Forest Green
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:52 PM

Need comments on C&D test

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpete View Post
Personally I thought the long-term C&D was a fair review.

John Philips and I feel similar in that there are so many little annoyances with this vehicle that it's hard to recommend.

I haven't read the review but I agree with this. Too many little things add up to be a bit of a downer. These are the issues with our car (a Touring AWD):

1) not smooth, jittery 9-speed transmission
2) clicking noises from transmission at slow speed
3) clicking noises coming from power steering
4) FM fades in and out even with all TSBs and FM module replaced.
5) Infotainment is slow
6) took Honda a year to fix the crashing infotainment system with a software update
7) system can't handle two phones (either USB or Bluetooth) at the same time - actually got confused and crashed my phone.
8) Seat memory open gets confused and stays on my wife's setting detecting her key in the house) and ignores my key as I get in the car.
9) The rear struts on my hatch have failed in cold weather and replacements are on back order.
10) my hatch is also out of alignment. Waiting on body shop to fix it.
11) no volume knob on infotainment - lacking real buttons in general. Touch screen may be nice on a phone but it is awful in cars.
12) the chrome of Honda's running boards keeps on tarnishing and requires constant cleaning.
13) I have a rattle from the back and trim falling off from a poor job done at the dealer trying to fix the FM issue (I'm blaming the car here as well as the dealer as if the FM worked then they would not be taking my car apart).
14) water pools in the hatch gutters that then runs into the car when you open the hatch.
15) dislike the auto idle off and the fact we can't set a timing for auto off or deactivating it altogether.
16) with auto idle off if the car come so a stop it switches the engine off. If you then put the car in park it then switches the engine on. Seriously? You can't then switch the engine off and leave the accessories on.
17) I just have many issues with the way the start/stop button works. Give me a key again...
18) Hate the push button transmission selector. Never buying a car with one of those again. Give me a stick to move (though perhaps I would get used to it if I drove it more but the auto on my 2008 Acura TSX is the nicest transmission I've driven with the way the stick moves and engages.)

I'm sure there is more I've forgotten about and there is a lot of good with the car (it's snow mode is amazing) but these 18 issues of woe would not have me buying another Pilot, or any Honda again.

2016 Touring (US Spec), Steel Sapphire Metallic, Grey interior, Crossbars, Trailer Hitch, Door Edge Guards, Chrome Tailgate Trim, Lighted Running Boards. First one damaged in shipping. Second one was picked up Jan 16th, 2016.

Last edited by TheNormsk; 03-02-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
16) with auto idle off if the car come so a stop it switches the engine off. If you then put the car in park it then switches the engine on. Seriously? You can't then switch the engine off and leave the accessories on.
I enjoy driving my 16 Touring AWD but #16 is really annoying. Is it only Honda or it's common for cars with auto idle off feature?

2016 Touring AWD, Black/Grey | Trailer Hitch | ATF Cooler | Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners | Black Rhino Mozambique |
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

#16 sounds crazy but I'm pretty sure it's related to the transmission. Bosch touches on it here: https://www.google.com/amp/www.autob...transmissions/

I've only driven stick shifts with stop/start technology.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 AM

#16 is crazy, but that's the way the darn thing works. Anyone gonna make an "idle-stop muzzler"?.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
#16 is crazy, but that's the way the darn thing works. Anyone gonna make an "idle-stop muzzler"?.
Honda does. It's called an "EX-L."
Wanderer likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
Honda does. It's called an "EX-L."
That's useful information. In fact, the comments have been very helpful. There are certain things a person would get used to, like the push button shift selector, and certain things that are just bad design like no volume knob on the radio so a person can't adjust volume without taking eyes off the road.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:16 PM

The longer I've owned my car, the more annoyed I get about owners complaining incessantly about the volume knob thing or lack thereof.

You. Can. Control. The. Volume. With. Your. Left. Thumb.

If you're driving, you don't have to take your eyes off the road to do that. I could care less about the front passenger whining about having to run a finger up and down a flat screen to adjust the volume. I'm just gonna change it back anyway, coz guess what, I have a separate volume control right by my left thumb.

2016 Touring AWD
White Diamond Pearl w/ Beige interior
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:46 PM

The Pilot is a solid choice, but you certainly shouldn't restrict yourself to looking only at Honda. Assuming you want to stick to Asian makes, I'd be sure to drive the Highlander, CX-9, and Santa Fe. FWIIW, Consumer Reports just published their ratings and they like the Highlander the best.

I agree with what many have been saying in this thread - in the Pilot, the lower-end trims are less "fussy". If you're a person who is into all the gadgets, you might find the Pilot a frustrating vehicle to own. Personally, I wouldn't consider any trim with the 9-speed, at least not for another year or two while they get the bugs out. If I were to buy a three-row crossover right now, it would be the CX-9.

- Mark
MacsPilot and Npbk like this.

Last edited by markjenn; 03-01-2017 at 02:49 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej615 View Post
That's useful information. In fact, the comments have been very helpful. There are certain things a person would get used to, like the push button shift selector, and certain things that are just bad design like no volume knob on the radio so a person can't adjust volume without taking eyes off the road.
My wife showed me a trick on the volume on the touch panel. You don't have to actually slide it. Just punch it somewhere around the + or - and it works. I'm embarrassed that she had to tell me that. And as another poster said, the steering wheel controls are best for the driver.

Last edited by fastoy; 03-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The Pilot is a solid choice, but you certainly shouldn't restrict yourself to looking only at Honda. Assuming you want to stick to Asian makes, I'd be sure to drive the Highlander, CX-9, and Santa Fe. FWIIW, Consumer Reports just published their ratings and they like the Highlander the best.

I agree with what many have been saying in this thread - in the Pilot, the lower-end trims are less "fussy". If you're a person who is into all the gadgets, you might find the Pilot a frustrating vehicle to own. Personally, I wouldn't consider any trim with the 9-speed, at least not for another year or two while they get the bugs out. If I were to buy a three-row crossover right now, it would be the CX-9.

- Mark
I will be giving the Highlander careful consideration. I live in the Minneapolis area and see very few older Hondas and Toyotas with bad body rust in the parking lots. My 2005 Pilot has just one spot of body rust at the edge of the passenger side rear wheel well. That makes me biased in favor of Honda and Toyota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: