2016 Elite had to jump 3 times this weekend - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 2016 Elite had to jump 3 times this weekend

Friday night, stranded at the store. Went in for 5 mins, came back and car won't start (but lights and everything worked). Husband came and jumped it.

Saturday morning, car started when we tested it first thing. Then I went to leave 20 mins later and again, no start. Jumped it and took it straight to Honda, where they tested it for 1.5 hours and found "nothing wrong." We went to dinner last night without incident.

Today my husband and son were stranded on a 2-lane road, after being stopped for a train and idle stop engaged. (I ALWAYS turn idle stop off, but my husband forgets.) Very dangerous situation as cars were trying to get around them and my 10-year-old is standing on the side of the road. While I was on my way to them to jump it, someone stopped to offer help. It didn't turn over, but turns out my husband had trouble with the samaritan's battery hookup. When I got there, it jumped. Drove it straight to the dealer and dropped the keys in the door.

Wondered if anyone has had this happen? They said battery tests at 75%. They acted like I was a crazy woman and/or I must have left something "on." No way in hell was this user error. Just wondered what else might be causing it.

I don't feel safe taking the car back unless they can promise me it's fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Honda batteries last only about two years, give or take. You may be on the "take" side of that. I wouldn't continue using a 75% battery on these vehicles as they require a lot of power, especially with idle stop.

If it continues I would suspect something draining the battery. However, your comment about lights working makes me wonder if it's not the battery at all. If the vehicle sits for a day or two, does the battery go low? When it happens I'd like to know the voltage of the battery. That would tell a lot.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:43 PM
xGS

Another battery problem on a 2016 Pilot with the AGM type battery.
Also note the comment in post #18 of the following thread about a TSB regarding the NAV system that can drain the battery.
Battery is fried, and dealer doesn't have one

2003 EX

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Just over a year. My husband was pissed they sent me home without an answer, said I should have asked them to have a technician take it home. If they try to give it back to me again without at least a new battery, I'm not taking it.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGS View Post
Another battery problem on a 2016 Pilot with the AGM type battery.
Also note the comment in post #18 of the following thread about a TSB regarding the NAV system that can drain the battery.
Thanks -- interesting read! Very similar experience.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Shaw View Post
Thanks -- interesting read! Very similar experience.
Have you done the stereo/nav update? I heard that some unit drained battery when I went in for the update about a year (or longer) ago. Ask your dealer about that update and see.

2016 Touring (Canadian), Obsidian Blue with running boards; Tow package.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like an intermittent fault, which are a pain to find, especially if they don't manifest themselves at the dealer.

If you have another convenient Honda dealer definitely worth trying them.

Nothing wrong is the wrong answer. Something's wrong.

When it fails to start, are all the instruments lighting up as they should? Or is it as dead as a dodo?

Any aftermarket electrical devices added e.g. Anti theft?

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It sounds like an intermittent fault, which are a pain to find, especially if they don't manifest themselves at the dealer.

If you have another convenient Honda dealer definitely worth trying them.

Nothing wrong is the wrong answer. Something's wrong.

When it fails to start, are all the instruments lighting up as they should? Or is it as dead as a dodo?

Any aftermarket electrical devices added e.g. Anti theft?
All the instruments are lighting up as they should, it just won't turn over. My brother-in-law is a Chevy mechanic and he's 99% sure it's the battery. Waiting for the dealership to call. I will ask them about the stereo/nav update. No aftermarket whatsoever.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Sounds like it did the same thing my '16 Elite did. (I noticed your comment on my thread).

You probably have a battery from the same bad batch that I did. It works fine once you get the engine going and battery tests are ok.

When it happens again, don't jump start the car, let them tow it under warranty. Once it's at the Dealer, they can test it and see if it's the battery or not.

Good luck, I'm just starting to trust my idle stop again and using it more.

~Angi

2016 Honda Pilot Elite
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Just got the call from the dealer. They finally got it to fail to start after trying it all day long. It was a bad cell in the battery. They are replacing it.
Rocky and Sparkland like this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Glad they figured it out before you were stranded again!

You'd think Honda would issue a recall/TSB for this lot of batteries with bad cells!

2016 Honda Pilot Elite
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

They told us they haven't had to replace a single battery yet for the third gen at our dealership. And it's a very big/busy dealership in a big suburb of Chicago! Crazy.

We also asked our service adviser who then had to ask one of the journeyman how to get the car into N without power. He said it's not possible, you need power to get it into neutral. So if you were to have it towed, they would have to drag it while in park to get it onto the bed. He did say there was some special tool they have that could get you into N, like what Wanderer described in your thread, but made it sound like that was not something we would ever want to attempt. Plus, once you get it to the side of the road, you haven't solved the problem of keeping it in neutral to get it towed.

Can't even believe what a poor design that is! So if I were you, I'd still have it jumped. Way too much potential for damage if they tow you like that.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachmama13 View Post
You'd think Honda would issue a recall/TSB for this lot of batteries with bad cells!
Really?

You can find good deals on "jump packs" if you look around. I found Advance/Carquest had Schumacher IP-75 jump packs on clearance for $14.95. Yes I got one for each of the three "daily driving" cars...the other three don't drive much so I didn't worry with them.

66 Chevelle..78 F150..89 Accord LXi 5 spd..07 Accord EXL..07 Pilot EX-L..16 Pilot Touring AWD

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Dealer boy doesn't know his cars! It's in the owners manual and this thread. http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-...ge=1&_k=ptc4h3

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=Jennifer Shaw;1318218]So if you were to have it towed, they would have to drag it while in park to get it onto the bed. QUOTE]

Not true. The tow company should have rollers that they can put on either side of the wheels to get it on the tow truck. That's how they got mine out of my garage. No way I was going to let them drag it out of the garage and eat up my tires, unless they were ready to buy me new tires!

Added a pic on page 2 of this thread.

2016 Honda Pilot Elite

Last edited by Beachmama13; 02-28-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: