Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

External Drives

13K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  iinthesky73 
#1 ·
I have a WD MyPassport external hard drive that I want to load a ton of music on so I can ditch the CDs. Once loaded I want to connect the hard drive to my 2016 Honda Pilot Touring via the USB and access the music I have stored on the drive. Is this possible? Has someone done something similar?

#3 ·
USE A THUMB DRIVE!

Why use a external HD with a spinning platter? Do you have more than 256GB of music?

Flow Chart:

Yes: Edit content down to 128GB or less

No: Buy appropriately sized thumb drive and transfer music files to it

We have 53.07GB of music files and that's 6,865 files - enough for 21.2 days of non repeating playback.

#5 ·
If you have a lot of music how about using an SSD drive like the Samsung T3. Has no moving parts and comes in sizes up to 2TB.

#6 ·
Expensive and all that SSD speed will go to waste with the Pilots GUI. Not worth the cost I think. If you want to do things on the cheap you could get a msata enclosure, or a CF card enclosure to hit those capacities without sacrificing too much on costs.

#8 ·
I run the black 128 Lexar jumpdrive with the blue LED light. Awesome little drive that doesn't get as hot as the SanDisk I had. Got it for $30 some time ago. Great little drive. Think I left it formatted as exFat. Works very well.

#11 ·
This has happened in my case. I hope it is worth mentioning here in this thread.

Using Windows 10 OS, every time I delete an unwanted mp3 file within the flash drive, the USB flash drive creates a "hidden" $RECYCE.BIN folder and Pilot will still recognize the deleted mp3 files and play it. I always make sure before inserting my flash drive back into my Pilot, to completely erase/remove the $RECYCLE.BIN from my flash drive.

Right click on USB drive > Properties > General Tab > Disk Cleanup

#13 ·
Hold Shift when you delete an unwanted MP3 file. That will permanently delete it.

#14 · (Edited)
Is there a way to get it to display the folder structure as it does in Windows instead of one, long continuous tree? I've been using a thumbdrive in my '13 Altima for the last four years. I devised a folder structure:

<Root Folder>
__A-D
____A
______(all "A" albums)
____B
______(all "B" albums)
____C
____D
__E-H
__I-M
__N-R
__S-Z

It's very fast to navigate to a particular album with just three selections from the root folder. With the Pilot's setup, you have to scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll...

Is there another way to do this that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

#17 ·
OK, so I see this is kind of an old thread, but I have not set up any USB thumbdrive yet.

Looks like FAT32 format with MBR partitioning is the way to go.
Is 64mb still a limit?
The above Directory / Subdirectory structure looks like a good one. Has anyone got the Pilot's radio to work with subdirectories?
Any other tips before I setup a new thumbdrive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.