Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2016/17 Pilot AWD QUESTION

21K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Wanderer 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Newbie here. I'm about to pull a trigger on a 2017 Touring AWD Pilot. My question is, does the AWD turns all 4 wheels all the time at any speed? I have heard that other makes label their vehicles as AWD but then above a certain speed, it will disengage the rear wheels and only the fronts are turning. Any facts on this with the pilot?

#4 ·
I believe op meant awd. The Pilot is basically a front wheel drive, only sends power to rear wheels when pick up, senses wheel spins/slips, and when set to the sand, snow modes. That may not be very accurate description of the Pilot's awd system, but you get the idea. Not sure at what speed it will stop being awd.

#5 ·
Pilot never "stops being AWD", ( assuming you bought one equipped with AWD ), but it will reduce torque delivery to the rear wheels under low-load cruising conditions to improve efficiency. 3rd-gen Pilot's AWD system is mechanically identical to 3rd-gen MDX, although there may be differences in software "tuning". This whole discussion of AWD type can get "spirited" at times, but be careful of marketing hype. Unless you plan to compete in off-road events, Pilot's AWD system is plenty robust and it is designed to enhance on-road performance in a wide range of conditions. It is proactive in delivery of torque to the rear-wheels, including splitting torque left-right, not simply reactive as was claimed. For more detail, there are many articles on the web, and a few tomes on this site, some of them written by myself. ?

#7 ·
When I was looking at the Pilot my friend passed along this link which is an EXTREMELY detailed discussion of the various AWD systems in Hondas and Acuras. The bottom line is that the 2016+ Pilot AWD system is identical in design and function as the SH-AWD system Acura is using in the MDX.

This system passes AT LEAST 10% of torque to the rear wheels via a 2.7% "overdrive" discussed here:

"Simply speaking, clutch packs in the new SH-AWD system are responsible for 100% of the workload, with the increased 2.7% overdrive ratio, the wear and overheating issue should be more serious than before. The reason why Acura can still let such system pass at least 10% of the torque during cruising in a straight line is: progress in the material technology make it possible to manufacture clutch plates with excellent anti-wear properties, so although there are lots of friction wear and heating under normal operating conditions, the new SH-AWD component can still maintain good reliability.

For the 2016 and up Honda Pilot, although Honda is marketing its AWD system as “i-VTM4”, it is in fact identical to the latest SH-AWD."

So yes, the AWD system does turn all 4 wheels all of the time, but can do much more than that depending on the situation.

#8 ·
A two wheeled vehicle is really only a one wheel drive vehicle (and that wheel is the wheel with the least traction) unless it has something like a limited slip differential or advanced electronics.

The Pilot has a fantastic AWD system (as detailed above) that spreads power to the wheels with traction.

Our Pilot really handles snow and ice extremely well.

#13 ·
Two others videos of AWD tests (Intuitive AWD, Real-Time 4WD, On-Demand AWD, Intelligent AWD, Symmetrical AWD, the Quattro, 4-Matic, X-Drive, yada yada drive). How many of those out there are just useless piece of ****, you know.
https://youtu.be/KqzTsuPiTVA
https://youtu.be/kRniF4JQN2U
It would be interesting to see the 3rd-gen Pilot AWD put into test, especially in real live critical conditions like these: https://youtu.be/J69XCDUlDDA

#15 ·
To save a few $ the next gen. RDX is on my list, but if truth be told I'm more interested in going luxury class w/something like an F-Pace, SQ5, X6 or perhaps an MDX. Not ruling out any LUX. Crossover equipped w/a V6/i6.

However, getting Mrs. optivity on-board with the amount of $ expended to obtain one of those vehicles is another matter.

#16 ·
In the youtube video above testing was conducted by slipping three wheels and allowing traction on one rear wheel.
That specific scenario seems to favor the Pilot/MDX AWD system, because it can actively transfer more power to one rear wheel.

What would happen if they only allowed traction to one front wheel?
Does the Pilot/MDX AWD behave identical to their 2WD models?
Do all Pilot/MDX's have an open front differential?

I read that open differentials send power to the wheel that's slipping.
In a test that allowed traction at only one front wheel, would our Pilots be stuck like the other cars in that youtube video?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.