Honda Pilot 1 Ruffed Grouse 0 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honda Pilot 1 Ruffed Grouse 0

Here's an agit for folks adverse to plastic.

While travelling at highway speed yesterday, a ruffed grouse entered the picture top left but failed to exit stage safely on the bottom right, resulting in an avian head-on against the lower plastic grill on the passenger side. It was left "hanging by a thread" but upon closer inspection, no damaged parts. Way'ta'go Honda! It simply clipped back into place with parking sensor fully in tact. A pleasant result for such a grimacing-inducing thud, with apologies to the Bonasa Umbellus species notwithstanding.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (American Elite), Black Forest Pearl, Black Leather Interior
ZF 9, Engine Block Heater, Power Folding Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Harness, Wiring, ATF Cooler
Lighted Running Boards, Locking Wheel Nuts, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Rear Bumper Applique
Cargo Cover Kit, Cargo Liner and Dividers, All Weather Protection Mats, Tent

Last edited by Pilot 2016; 01-10-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Correct taxonomic rank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Hmm, try doing that with a deer instead. It is a dangerous time of year on the road.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post
Hmm, try doing that with a deer instead. It is a dangerous time of year on the road.
Quite a different result to be sure! I am fortunate that this has been my largest collision with wildlife in 42 years of driving. Especially lucky considering the elk, moose and deer corridors we traverse on a regular basis.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (American Elite), Black Forest Pearl, Black Leather Interior
ZF 9, Engine Block Heater, Power Folding Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Harness, Wiring, ATF Cooler
Lighted Running Boards, Locking Wheel Nuts, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Rear Bumper Applique

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Garage
Smile

hoang51 and Pierre007 like this.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot 2016 View Post
Quite a different result to be sure! I am fortunate that this has been my largest collision with wildlife in 42 years of driving. Especially lucky considering the elk, moose and deer corridors we traverse on a regular basis.
I live in a densely populated suburban area that is loaded with deer enjoying a smörgåsbord of homeowner's ornamental shrubs during the winterous time of year. It's not uncommon to see deer roaming around the highways & byways, along the roadside, in open fields and in your neighbor's front yard.

Just remember when you see Bambi dart across the road in front of you there is a strong possibility 2 or 3 of her sisters aren't far behind.
Yoda and Pilot 2016 like this.

2016 Elite Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Touring Accord Crystal Black Pearl

Pilot accessories: Trailer Hitch (5000lbs), Trailer Hitch Harness, 9-Speed ATF Cooler, 20" Black Alloy Wheels, Chrome Front Bumper Trim, Chrome Tailgate Trim, Folding Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Applique, Body Side Moldings, Crossbars, Splash Guards, Front Lower Trim, Chrome Door Mirror Cover, Lighted Running Boards, Custom License Plate Frames
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post
Just remember when you see Bambi dart across the road in front of you there is a strong possibility 2 or 3 of her sisters aren't far behind.
Yea, always scares me when I only see one.......where are its friends
Yoda and Pilot 2016 like this.

66 Chevelle..78 F150..89 Accord LXi 5 spd..07 Accord EXL..07 Pilot EX-L..16 Pilot Touring AWD

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Mercedes-Benz (in addition to other high end names) offers an infrared camera system on its S class, which enables drivers to "see" an image of the road a few hundred feet beyond the headlights. It will detect images such as deer, pedestrians bicyclers etc. The image is created on a screen in the instrument panel.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodinero View Post
Mercedes-Benz (in addition to other high end names) offers an infrared camera system on its S class, which enables drivers to "see" an image of the road a few hundred feet beyond the headlights. It will detect images such as deer, pedestrians bicyclers etc. The image is created on a screen in the instrument panel.
Do these look to the "side"? Just me but the deer hunting the cars have done were a result of them crossing the road...heck the last one actually took out the pass door and window....guess she was a slow runner or had bad brakes

I will say that one time in the 16 Pilot the CBMS started talking to me - I was like WTH as there was no headlights coming at me...before I could even tell the car to stop yelling at me....there goes bambi across the road

66 Chevelle..78 F150..89 Accord LXi 5 spd..07 Accord EXL..07 Pilot EX-L..16 Pilot Touring AWD

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:41 AM

My previous 2012 Pilot started its maiden road trip by ruffling the feathers of a hen pheasant. It flew in from the side nice and low so it kind of bounced up and down between the undercarriage and the road a few times and continued into the opposite ditch, leaving a big cloud of feathers in its wake. My 16yo daughter was distraught that we might have hurt the bird, but I was trying not to die laughing. Bad Dad.

But there are lots of wild turkey around here, and they like to fly right at windshield height. One of those might get the last laugh! I saw a really close near-miss by a car just ahead of me on I-94 one time. Yikes.

But I agree the deer standing in the middle of the road isn't usually the one to worry about. ( Although I have seen entire herds on the road at night in the Black Hills of SD, or Blue Ridge Parkway in VA , and every once in a while one decides to have a stare-down on our local roads ). But the one that decides to run across the road when you happen to be there is the big problem. And once they make up their mind, that's it. Years ago a whitetail ran out of the ditch alongside my dad when he was riding a motorcycle on a gravel road, ran along with him for a while, then it decided it really wanted to cross the road, so it jumped right into him and knocked him off the bike.

And I can't count how many times I've seen deer running across a field while I'm riding a bicycle on a road, alone or in a group, and I've done a quick vectorial analysis and concluded there is a problem. Sure enough, and once they are on that course you better fix it somehow, cuz the darn deer won't change anything.

Last edited by Wanderer; 01-10-2017 at 04:43 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM

It's bad enough to see deer in an open field with close proximity to the road, but what is worse are the ones that come popping out of a wooded area where there is a line of trees or forest of trees near the road and you just can't see the dang things until they're crossing the road.

The road to my house is like this and I've experienced deer bolting from the trees a number of times, but fortunately the speed & distance has provided enough time to avoid a collision. However, I've also witnessed another car ahead of me hit a deer under this type of circumstance.

I suppose the scariest thing is driving along the interstate at a high rate of speed and hitting a deer, it happens.

I can remember at least one instance in my area where a driver was killed when she hit a deer and it went through the windshield killing her on impact.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

We often see wild turkeys lurking on the edge of a remote gravel road that we take to the golf course. They seem to meander with no one really in charge and as you mentioned, Wanderer, they have such a low flight path when they deem a runway suitable for takeoff. (The locals here tell me they do not taste so great but tasting is believing!)

There is a definite art to scanning for deer or moose at night, making sure that you are not fixated on the road ahead. But, as you say Optivity, there is practically no defense for heavily tree-lined roads. Cranking back on the throttle is definitely in order but sometimes hard to do with pressing traffic.

While commuting to work a few years ago, the air was blanketed with really thick fog. Travelling down a county two-lane, I was suddenly greeted with a bull moose who was running down the centre of the highway in the same direction. For that instant, I could touch his nose if my window were open. Lucky for me he was not interested in veering and also lucky was the fact it was a remote highway with no oncoming traffic.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Test Your Deer Spotting Acumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot 2016 View Post
There is a definite art to scanning for deer or moose at night, making sure that you are not fixated on the road ahead.
If you can manage to sit through this 5-minute summer ride dashcam video I took, try to spot the deer -- twice.

Mild Mannered Off Roading for 2006 EX-L (Pics & Vids)

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
(green);
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
If you can manage to sit through this 5-minute summer ride dashcam video I took, try to spot the deer -- twice.

Mild Mannered Off Roading for 2006 EX-L (Pics & Vids)
Spoiler alert!

2:06 left ditch, pivots and runs away to left.
4:04 crosses road L -> R, leaps gracefully into woods.

Beautiful summer coat on both deer. Almost reflective. This was slow-pitch league...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Around our neck of the woods we have to watch out mainly for deer, turkeys, turkey buzzards, & the occasional steer that gets through a fence. Hit any one of those at speed & you'll wish you had only hit a ruffed grouse!

On a side note, I did hit a large badger that ran out in front of us a few nights ago. I could have sworn we had no suspension at all. No damage to Yoda, but our kids who were behind us said the badger never moved again...

2016 Pilot Touring AWD Black Forest Pearl
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ride, pl. Enjoyable scenery up in the Laurentians and makes me want to install a dash-cam even more.
Wanderer nailed the sightings. I especially enjoyed the latter fence jumping as it was timed to the music perfectly. Speaking of which, I am stumped. The first video had sound separation akin to Jefferson Airplane but not near the psychedelic overtones. The second video seemed to have an even older song...perhaps "Mod Squad" era (ouch!). In any event, loved that Farfisa organ in both!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: