Snow traction control - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snow traction control

Have our first snow today since I picked our my Elite. Any tips or guidelines on the snow traction control? Is there a max speed it can be used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 AM

I used it close to 90-100km/h and everything worked fine. There wasn't all that much snow on the ground d obviously, but I forgot to turn it off when I went from very snowy to 'barer' road. Didn't see any issues/problems.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM

It doesn't snow in Upstate NY anymore - 2 years running.

What's next, Palm trees in the front yard?

2016 Elite Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Touring Accord Crystal Black Pearl

Pilot accessories: Trailer Hitch (5000lbs), Trailer Hitch Harness, 9-Speed ATF Cooler, 20" Black Alloy Wheels, Chrome Front Bumper Trim, Chrome Tailgate Trim, Folding Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Applique, Body Side Moldings, Crossbars, Splash Guards, Front Lower Trim, Chrome Door Mirror Cover, Lighted Running Boards, Custom License Plate Frames

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 PM

No limitations on speed, but "snow mode" is a bit hyperactive about applying brakes to control wheel spin and this can impede forward progress under some conditions. Turning "VSA" off with the button on the dash fixes this, but isn't recommended at highway speeds. If you are drift bashing at highway speeds, I guess you're on your own! Really, I tend to just leave it in "normal" mode and it does fine with winter tires. Might be different on all-seasons.

I think they still get lake effect snow in Buffalo if you feel a desperate need to play in the snow. We have had some teasers, but then it went away.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
No limitations on speed, but "snow mode" is a bit hyperactive about applying brakes to control wheel spin and this can impede forward progress under some conditions. Turning "VSA" off with the button on the dash fixes this, but isn't recommended at highway speeds. If you are drift bashing at highway speeds, I guess you're on your own! Really, I tend to just leave it in "normal" mode and it does fine with winter tires. Might be different on all-seasons.

I think they still get lake effect snow in Buffalo if you feel a desperate need to play in the snow. We have had some teasers, but then it went away.
I am thrilled with how the Pilot handles in snowy conditions here in the mountains, especially on severe uphill grades while in normal mode. There have been a few occasions of deep snow thus far and I, too, experienced the hyperactive brake application while in snow mode. The disengagement of VSA as you described and recommended in a previous thread worked beautifully and instantly!

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (American Elite), Black Forest Pearl, Black Leather Interior
ZF 9, Engine Block Heater, Power Folding Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Harness, Wiring, ATF Cooler
Lighted Running Boards, Locking Wheel Nuts, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Rear Bumper Applique
Cargo Cover Kit, Cargo Liner and Dividers, All Weather Protection Mats, Tent
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM

I wonder if mud is better than snow if you're looking to be able to use some wheel spin? I haven't been able to test any of the modes yet.

2016 EX-L Steel Sapphire on Grey
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Never thought to fool around with the other modes but will try next time and post the findings. "Look out Martha....here comes that crazy Pilot down the road again!"
Yoda likes this.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (American Elite), Black Forest Pearl, Black Leather Interior
ZF 9, Engine Block Heater, Power Folding Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Harness, Wiring, ATF Cooler
Lighted Running Boards, Locking Wheel Nuts, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Rear Bumper Applique
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot 2016 View Post
Never thought to fool around with the other modes but will try next time and post the findings. "Look out Martha....here comes that crazy Pilot down the road again!"
They probably intend the modes for regular driving so snow mode might keep you from getting stuck, not unstuck. I would imagine sand or mud have to allow some slippage since that's the only way to get through.

2016 EX-L Steel Sapphire on Grey
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM

I've driven on the highway, in snow mode during a snowstorm recently at speeds between zero an >110 kph. There is no max speed for the mode, however at higher speeds the transmission doesn't like to hold a gear going up hills. It likes to shift up far too early resulting in either a very noticeable loss of speed. I found myself manually downshifting to maintain speed but the transmission almost immediately shifting back unless I was in "S" mode.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 AM

In snow mode the adaptive cruise control is disabled as I found out.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (Elite) ,White Diamond Pearl, WeatherTech Floorliner & Cargo Liner, complete frontal 3M install, OEM trailer hitch, E-trailer wiring harness , RTX winter wheels & 245/65R17 Blizzak DM-V2
Delivery date 07/07/2016 , Built 06/2016
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:54 AM

The cruise control is non functioning in snow mode.

I have used it in deep snow.

2007 Honda Ridgeline
2016 Honda Pilot
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontcanuck View Post
In snow mode the adaptive cruise control is disabled as I found out.
Good find! It is recommended that ACC and CC only be used when travelling in good weather so are designed to disconnect when Intelligent Traction is set to snow, sand or mud.

P.S. - Discovery Channel's premiere episode of "Heavy Rescue: 401" was something else!

Last edited by Pilot 2016; 01-06-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Had our first big snow yesterday as well. Was anxious to get my new '16 Touring out in it since I just bought it on the 30th. Snow was super light and fluffy. Usual - take it slow - and keep plenty of distance.

Handled just fine for conditions. Strange thing is there seems to be a free release, or pause, when AWD is downshifting and I couldn't tell if the car was sliding for a sec or not. Again, just got it and getting used to it. All in all, it was just fine.

This AM, snow was mostly compacted and tight - still did just fine.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM

First snow of the year, set Intelligent Traction to snow, was really impressed how well the Pilot handled.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:34 PM

If you want to feel good about the AWD capabilities of your Pilot check out the "Gold Mine Hill Off-Road Review."

2016 Elite Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Touring Accord Crystal Black Pearl

Pilot accessories: Trailer Hitch (5000lbs), Trailer Hitch Harness, 9-Speed ATF Cooler, 20" Black Alloy Wheels, Chrome Front Bumper Trim, Chrome Tailgate Trim, Folding Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Applique, Body Side Moldings, Crossbars, Splash Guards, Front Lower Trim, Chrome Door Mirror Cover, Lighted Running Boards, Custom License Plate Frames
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: