Snow traction control - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post
If you want to feel good about the AWD capabilities of your Pilot check out the "Gold Mine Hill Off-Road Review."
Yes, I remember viewing that video when we were deciding between Highlander and Pilot. Pilot cleaned up and surprised the testers in the process when vehicle caught a "second wind". Have been pleased with our Pilot decision ever since .
pmhonda likes this.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (American Elite), Black Forest Pearl, Black Leather Interior
ZF 9, Engine Block Heater, Power Folding Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Harness, Wiring, ATF Cooler
Lighted Running Boards, Locking Wheel Nuts, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Rear Bumper Applique
Cargo Cover Kit, Cargo Liner and Dividers, All Weather Protection Mats, Tent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Pilot View Post
The cruise control is non functioning in snow mode.

I have used it in deep snow.
We got an inch or two today in NJ, tried ACC in snow mode on the highway, kept getting "ACC Off" message flashing. I tried a million times, switched traction modes, back to snow, and it finally worked. Lane Keeping assist was working as well. Not sure what I did or didn't do lol, I'll have to play with it a bit more.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derffred View Post
We got an inch or two today in NJ, tried ACC in snow mode on the highway, kept getting "ACC Off" message flashing. I tried a million times, switched traction modes, back to snow, and it finally worked. Lane Keeping assist was working as well. Not sure what I did or didn't do lol, I'll have to play with it a bit more.
Honda recommends that ACC and regular cruise control only be used in good weather conditions. As a safety precaution, the function is disabled any time the Intelligent Tracking Management system is activated for snow, sand or mud.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pilot_Cruise_Control.pdf (63.9 KB, 148 views)

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (American Elite), Black Forest Pearl, Black Leather Interior
ZF 9, Engine Block Heater, Power Folding Mirrors, Trailer Hitch, Harness, Wiring, ATF Cooler
Lighted Running Boards, Locking Wheel Nuts, Roof Rack Cross Bars, Rear Bumper Applique

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM

The sensors can't see when your front end and windshield is covered in road salt. Is that really so difficult to understand why it's a terrible idea to try to use it in those conditions? You shouldn't even be using cruise control if there is snow on the ground honestly.
Yoda likes this.

2016 EX-L Steel Sapphire on Grey
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:43 PM

It snowed and iced over here in Birmingham, AL.
I haven't had time to buy a set of chains yet, but plan to do so soon for potential ski trips.

Here is a video I took driving around with snow mode and stock continental tires - made a huge difference when trying to get up hills versus without it.
Seems like the pilot becomes a "scaredy cat" and very cautious in maintaining control of the wheels when powering through. More engine braking behavior on downhills from the transmission as well.

I was cruising up hills where even some 4wd vehicles were struggling.

Will never go back to FWD / RWD only after this experience - the pilot is our 1st AWD, and you would not believe the amount of people who tried to turn us away from AWD. Our CRV was FWD and I hated the slippage while stopped on hills when the roads got wet.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM

I took mine out for some donut action at the local inactive airbase. Snow mode doesn't allow any fun but it works amazingly well to keep things in line! A quick jump to Mud gives you way more room to play but still limits the fun, sand as well it seems. This is my first AWD SUV and I'm super pleased to finally not care about who shoveled or not and how much snow is on the ground!

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Twintrbo: If we didn't use cruise control when there is snow on the ground here in the northeast then we'd have many months of cruise-control-free driving! ;-) I suspect that you meant to say if there is any snow on the road that using cruise control is not advisable.

ykwak: I just rock all seasons here and have never needed snow chains to get to where I need - and that has included many ski areas in the VT/NH area in all kinds of conditions. While all seasons are a compromise, they have proven to be more than adequate time and time again. Not sure where you are headed but you are probably OK without (unless you're headed to a mandatory chain zone, which we don't have here in NH). Glad to see that you were able to play a little in the slick conditions!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsargevt View Post
Twintrbo: If we didn't use cruise control when there is snow on the ground here in the northeast then we'd have many months of cruise-control-free driving! ;-) I suspect that you meant to say if there is any snow on the road that using cruise control is not advisable.
I'm a ski bum so I've driven in snow my entire life. Yes I meant snow on the road of course, if the road is dry there is no reason not to use CC just because of what was plowed a month ago. If you're concerned that you can't use the system because the salt spray is so bad it shuts down or won't activate, I have to question your motives.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykwak View Post
There are many different levels of AWD and the Pilot has a very good system as it sits. Tires are a big factor but mechanical based systems will always have the edge when the going gets tough. Some of these AWD SUV's have no ability to go off road and use computers to try to help them get through rough conditions. Computers get overwhelmed and physics takes over. Then you're stuck no matter what the badge on the hatch says!

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykwak View Post
It snowed and iced over here in Birmingham, AL.
I haven't had time to buy a set of chains yet, but plan to do so soon for potential ski trips.

Here is a video I took driving around with snow mode and stock continental tires - made a huge difference when trying to get up hills versus without it.
Seems like the pilot becomes a "scaredy cat" and very cautious in maintaining control of the wheels when powering through. More engine braking behavior on downhills from the transmission as well.

Will never go back to FWD / RWD only after this experience - the pilot is our 1st AWD, and you would not believe the amount of people who tried to turn us away from AWD. Our CRV was FWD and I hated the slippage while stopped on hills when the roads got wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKXs4MF-CU
Thanks for posting that smooth video-tour of Birmingham; felt like I was watching a Periscope broadcast. With the sun shining, you could clearly see the icy sheen.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontcanuck View Post
In snow mode the adaptive cruise control is disabled as I found out.

No I do not use cruise in snowy conditions but in this case I was travelling down a dry 4 lane highway sunny day on adaptive cruise when all of a sudden I ran into snow streamer common here in southern Ontario. With blizzard condition I cancelled cruise and switched to snow mode. Fifteen minutes later I came through the streamer and back to dry and sunny condition. Forgot about the snow mode and switched back to cruise and a no go. I later reading the manual and found out why.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (Elite) ,White Diamond Pearl, WeatherTech Floorliner & Cargo Liner, complete frontal 3M install, OEM trailer hitch, E-trailer wiring harness , RTX winter wheels & 245/65R17 Blizzak DM-V2
Delivery date 07/07/2016 , Built 06/2016
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINTRBO View Post
I'm a ski bum so I've driven in snow my entire life. Yes I meant snow on the road of course, if the road is dry there is no reason not to use CC just because of what was plowed a month ago. If you're concerned that you can't use the system because the salt spray is so bad it shuts down or won't activate, I have to question your motives.
I was being a smarty...I had assumed that is what you meant! I lived in NC for a while and there are people who might misunderstand because of their lack of exposure to driving in snow.....

MMMMMM salt spray.....always so good to our vehicles!
TWINTRBO likes this.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bootstrapbill
I watched it

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post
If you want to feel good about the AWD capabilities of your Pilot check out the "Gold Mine Hill Off-Road Review."
Hey captivity,I watched that on YouTube,it's incredible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: