2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring) - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)

Hi everyone
I am a fellow pleasant purveyor of a 2017 AWD Touring and Hardwire Installed a Lucas front + rear dashcam.
Photos with details attached
- The model I have also has parking mode / surveillance when the car is off + voltage over-drain safeguards.
- Did NOT need a 12v to 5v in-line convertor for this dash cam model - be aware that you may need one for other models and manufacturers.
- Hard wired directly into driver side fuse box (1 accessory power and 1 constant power).
- Highly recommend an add-a-fuse kit (i used 2).
- The pilot uses low-profile mini fuses, Not regular mini fuses (the metal prongs sit flush with the plastic casing on the fuses)
- Running the wires was a breeze - No trim pieces had to be fully removed. Gently lifted some of the rear trunk roof pieces to snake the rear dash cam wire through.
- Mounted the rear dash cam to the trunk cabin light lens (3M adhesive would not stick well to the regular plastic roof trim) - no regrets, very pleased.

**Other Details of our vehicle**
- mud guards + door edge guards + wheel locks + moon roof visor
- Kensun HID Headlights 35w 5000k with Relay Harness
- MaxLiner floor liners (very pleased)
- DIY clear 3M headlight protectors
- DIY clear 3M rear bumper applique / protector
- white LEDs for reverse lights + cabin lights

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d1.jpg

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d2.jpg

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d3.jpg

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d4.jpg

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d5.jpg

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d6.jpg

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)-d7.jpg

Last edited by ykwak; 12-30-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 PM

Very informative and useful! May I ask why two add a fuses were used, one for front cam and one for the rear one?

Also did you open the A pillar cover and other trims to run the cable behind air bags? I saw some old threads mentioned that, not sure if necessary.
post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Very informative and helpful. I have been thinking of doing this and it seems easier than I thought. Would like your response on why you used 2 fuses.

post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 PM

Why would you put a rear camera? Did you install them because you expecting something bad to happen while driving or to record possible accidents when you are on the road?
post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:07 AM

I like your install!

For my front dash cam I did the same set up as you but didn't run the wire inside the A pillar, so my wire goes over it and down the side to one of the fuse boxes. You mentioned that you didn't have to pop fully the trim pieces. Was the top of the A pillar easy to pull out? Do I just tug the top off so I can slide the wire in?

I also added a rear camera but it wasn't nicely done like yours. I plugged mine in the rear cigarette lighter and used 3M clips to hold the wire against the trim. It's not firmly held though. I may try what you did.

I installed the rear camera after I got rear ended. The car behind me tried switching to the left lane but got hit by another car which in turn pushed the car into us. Wasn't our fault but it would have been nice to have video evidence of what actually happened.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD - Dark Cherry Pearl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChillyWind; 12-29-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npbk View Post
Very informative and useful! May I ask why two add a fuses were used, one for front cam and one for the rear one?
Two fuses were used because the Lukas 9750 dash cam has 2 power wires for hard wiring.
Wire 1 - for constant power that supplies the unit when the car is off and you decide to use the car in "parking mode" - unit turns on and records with motion sensing and vibration while the car is off (the unit has voltage over-drain protection built in)
Wire 2 - for accessory power that supplies the unit when the car is on, but shuts power when the car is off (if you decide to use it as a standard dash cam, and don't want to use the "parking mode" feature)

Quote:
Also did you open the A pillar cover and other trims to run the cable behind air bags? I saw some old threads mentioned that, not sure if necessary.
I did not need to fully remove any of the trim pieces on either the A, B, or C pillars. Just lifted some corners of the trim pieces in order to fit the wires in better - sometimes this meant popping out at least one retainer clip.
This is where a plastic trim removal / trim installation tool comes in handy.
post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight3136 View Post
Why would you put a rear camera? Did you install them because you expecting something bad to happen while driving or to record possible accidents when you are on the road?
Because if I am going to install a camera / surveillance system, then I want to have my front and rear covered. To each their own, but I am also the type who purchases a half million dollars or more in liability for car insurance.

As ChillyWind has mentioned - we have also had one of our cars rear ended in the past. The driver who hit the vehicle told the police that our vehicle "reversed" into them (...we were on the freeway where that would have been nothing short of asinine...).
hoang51, Pierre007 and MyR6Rocks like this.

Last edited by ykwak; 01-07-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:57 AM

Thanks for making a thread about your dashcam installation. It is informative. In the near future, I will also install one front and one rear, albeit different dashcam - Viofo A119. I want to keep it discreet. Now I just wonder how I would do it for the rear since I can't just stick it to the dome light like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight3136 View Post
There will be people who would fraudulently claim that the other driver reversed into them instead of admitting fault for rear ending the other driver. It's to prevent something stupid like this to happen and resolve the issue quickly who's at fault (audio was also recorded):
ChillyWind likes this.

Last edited by hoang51; 12-30-2016 at 04:03 AM.
post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Really nice installation. Thanks for the information.
Deken likes this.

2016 EX-L with Nav, White Diamond Pearl, Beige Interior
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 PM

Any reason to run direct to the fuse, or can you/should you get to a USB or DC port?

2014 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
post #11 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
Any reason to run direct to the fuse, or can you/should you get to a USB or DC port?
You can power the unit however you wish - USB in line adapter, 12v Cigarette port, hardwire into existing power line, direct to fuse, even from battery with relay if you want.

I did the fusebox hardware because it hides the wires very well - seamless.

You can in-line tap 12v power port wiring as well, but that would require more removal of parts and more overall work. A cigarette lighter / usb cable would not hide as well, and takes up accessory slots.

People have even tapped into the wires that power the auto dimming rear view.
post #12 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Nicely done. Thanks for the write up. Just to confirm in picture #7 (last one) should the red line you drew should be on drivers side and not passengers side? Just want to avoid confusion for others who use your guide as a resource.

2016 Pilot EX-L - Modern Steel Metallic / Black - 4300K HIDs - Debadged - Blacked Out - TSW MAX Wheels -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Clearly, a well designed and well executed installation. Thank you for sharing.
Would a dashboard installation have been more work, or is the view better from behind the rear view mirror?
It appears that the fuse block dust cover was permanently removed. Perhaps an opening in the cover could be done to keep out contamination.
post #14 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcbhc View Post
Clearly, a well designed and well executed installation. Thank you for sharing.
Would a dashboard installation have been more work, or is the view better from behind the rear view mirror?
It appears that the fuse block dust cover was permanently removed. Perhaps an opening in the cover could be done to keep out contamination.
There is no dust cover at this location.
post #15 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 PM

Question Which Fuses did you use. I need to do this in a 2009 Pilot EX-L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykwak View Post
Hi everyone
I am a fellow pleasant purveyor of a 2017 AWD Touring and Hardwire Installed a Lucas front + rear dashcam.
Photos with details attached
- The model I have also has parking mode / surveillance when the car is off + voltage over-drain safeguards.
- Did NOT need a 12v to 5v in-line convertor for this dash cam model - be aware that you may need one for other models and manufacturers.
- Hard wired directly into driver side fuse box (1 accessory power and 1 constant power).
- Highly recommend an add-a-fuse kit (i used 2).
- The pilot uses low-profile mini fuses, Not regular mini fuses (the metal prongs sit flush with the plastic casing on the fuses)
- Running the wires was a breeze - No trim pieces had to be fully removed. Gently lifted some of the rear trunk roof pieces to snake the rear dash cam wire through.
- Mounted the rear dash cam to the trunk cabin light lens (3M adhesive would not stick well to the regular plastic roof trim) - no regrets, very pleased.
Hi Which fuses did you use ? I need to do this in a 2009 EX-L and need constant as well as acc power as well just like you. I included my diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-09_21-41-54.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	99842  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: