Put Sound Deadening in my '16 Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put Sound Deadening in my '16 Pilot

Finally did it. Gutted the interior of my Pilot and put sound deadening material in it to help with all the background noise that got on my nerves. We bought an EX 2WD and it became obvious after we had it home that it needed some help. The dealer tells me that the EX-L and higher models come with acoustic glass. Mine did not. I've also read some posts where others have speculated that the Touring and Elite models have extra sound insulation. Don't know about that, but I can tell you from personal experience after removing all the trim, seats, headliner and carpet in my Pilot that Honda did not put anything very impressive in the "plain Jane" EX model I bought to keep the vehicle quiet . We simply did not want leather seats, or else would have purchased a higher-end Pilot. Now that I'm done, I like the results. A cheap, free decibel meter app that I down loaded on the iPhone only shows a 1-2 dB level reduction in noise, but all that non-stop, irritating background drone noise is gone. Glad I went to all the trouble.
Rocky, humanoid, Wanderer and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 PM

Pictures during the process?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Glad it's working after all your trouble. Overall SPL ( sound-pressure level ) doesn't tell the whole story, because often it's discrete spikes at certain resonance frequencies that cause the most irritation. For instance the "drone" you cite. There is probably a spectrum analyzer app that would show this. Enhanced noise abatement in Touring/Elite isn't pure speculation. Honda makes that claim. But I don't know what is different. Possibly thicker padding under carpet, inserts in doors, in addition to the acoustic front glass. I know from removing the 3rd-row seats that there is some kind of tar/rubber mat on the floor in the Touring. You can see a bit of it on a side wall of the cargo area near the subwoofer in this photo. There was also polyester mat behind the trim panel.

Put Sound Deadening in my '16 Pilot-tar_mat-1.jpg

Did you use Dyna-mat or something similar?

Last edited by Wanderer; 10-30-2016 at 09:36 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Yes I have pictures, but am unable to upload any to Piloteers.org due to my low post count.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I wish I knew about the spectrum analyzer app earlier. I used the SPL to get before and readings to see if all the material I put in the car really made any difference. I've done this to a half dozen other vehicles thru the years, including an '05 Pilot once. I can always tell anecdotally that there is an improvement. This time I was hoping to get a little "scientific" proof to back that up.

I didn't use Dynamat. I bought my material from Sound Deadener Showdown, including their CLD Tiles, MLV, and acoustic foam. I was very pleased with their products.

My Pilot had very little sound insulation by contrast to what was said earlier. Wish I could show you all my photos. There is nothing in the door liners. My 3rd row seat sat on the bare metal floor. Nothing was under it. Not even carpeting. I have the same pad behind the subwoofer, but there is nothing besides bare metal between it and the rear wheels behind it. I removed the speaker and its mat, and stuffed a bunch of sound insulation on top of the rear wheel well. I suspect that was one of the best things I did to help eliminate noise.

BTW, this was by far the most difficult job I have ever done. By far! This generation of Pilots is a big vehicle with lots of parts. It is not designed to be taken apart. Internal trim clearances were very tight leaving very little room for foreign materials ... like sound deadening stuff. It has some of the best fit & finish I've ever seen. The carpet foam padding was even molded to fit the contours of the metal floor. That was impressive. The trim clips and fasteners are very cleverly engineered. In fact Honda requires you to hit the pillar trims with a rubber mallet to release those clips and then replace them with new ones. Ironically, those A, B, C, & D pillars turned out to be the easiest to remove and install. Honda calls for special tools to remove the passenger seat belt connection and roof handles above the doors. I was able to work around that, but wasn't easy. I spent $10 for a day's access to Honda Service Express to print off as many of the interior trim diagrams as I could. There is no way I could have done tis job without the benefit of those guides. Even with them I did not try to remove the center console. It proved to be too intimidating for my DYI abilities. Long story short ... don't attempt this unless you enjoy this sort of a challenge. For me it was fun, but still hard.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, maybe I can attach photos. Here is what my Pilot looks like with the 3rd row seat removed. Seat sits on the floor. No carpet under it. The dark brown material is Honda oem sound dampener. I'd guess 90% of the floor was covered this way from the factory, which I thought was great.

The big issue with the floor was the extensive duct work for rear seating heat & AC vents. I did manage to put some mass load vinyl (MLV) under a few of the floor ducts, like these in front of the 2ndrow seats. The carpet was molded to fit over the duct work which did not leave adequate room to add the MLV.

Here you an see how the carpet foam backing was molded to fit the contours of the floor. Since I did not take out the center consul, I had to install the MLV barrier on the floor by lifting the carpet and working under it. A pain, but worked out okay.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Here is my passenger side rear wheel well area with the rear trim and speaker subwoofer removed. You can see the outside sheet metal and top of the wheel fender the hole. Honda put some loose fiber mat on the wall behind the speaker in the upper right corner of the photo. I suspect this big open area was a major source of road noise inside the car.

This is the only "after" photo I took of the rear wheel area. This is the driver side. The MLV that I covered the wheel well with and some of the light colored acoustic foam that I installed is visible. What isn't visible in the picture is all the MLV and foam I put over the wheel fender on the other side of the framing, and the foam I was able to stuff inside the hollow Y-shaped frame holding the seat belt and circle access cover. I was also able to attach some foam to the nooks and crannies in the big plastic trim panel that covers the wheel area, but otherwise pretty much left that panel as it came from the factory.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

All 4 doors had this polyester-like fiber fill material in them.Reminded me of the quilt batting that my wife uses when sewing. I'm sure it has some sound proofing value, but Honda actually calls it a "hole filler" on their eStore parts diagram. I took it off and hung a sheet of MLV in it's place.
Bought special Velcro strips from Sound Deadener so that I didn't have to glue anything to the door frame. Unlike Velcro one buys at a retail store, this Velcro has heavy duty glue that holds in high heat.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

The door liner was plain plastic from the factory without anything in it to abate noise.

Here is what the liner looked like after I installed some acoustic foam and acoustic cotton batting (the dark gray stuff). With Honda's oem "hole filler" removed, all this junk fit back onto the door frame just fine too. It ain't pretty, but it's also not seen. Works great ...doors seem dead quiet now.

Last edited by 2hondas2; 11-08-2016 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correct spelling
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

The big job for me was removing the headliner. I really wanted to put insulation material between it and the roof for help with heat in the summer since it gets so blasted hot where I live. Noise abatement was a secondary consideration. I put some CLD Tiles on the roof to dampen the sheet metal and used UltraTouch Radiant Barrier for the insulation effect. The hard part about removing the headliner is that the washer fluid line for the rear window is attached to the headliner. That line is one whole piece running continuously from the rear window back to where is connects to the washer tank behind the front wheel. So yes, that means you have to remove the front wheel plastic liner and pull the line thru the firewall so that it remains attached as you take down the headliner. And yes, I still found this to be a fun project. As an aside, Honda uses magnets to help hold the headliner to the metal roof. Clever!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

The critical part to reinstalling the headliner was getting trim overlap correct. Honda specifies that the pillar trim extend 5 to 8 mm (no more, no less) for proper air bag deployment. If you watch what you're doing, the headliner will go back up in exactly the same position as it was before it came out. Mine was spot on with no adjustments necessary.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:49 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow. Nice job on tearing everything apart and getting it back together. These are the type of jobs I wouldn't mine doing once my warranty expires. After seeing your pictures, I do appreciate Honda's skill in packaging all the features into such a tiny space.

Wish you've taken out the middle console at least then it might help me understand where this annoying creaking sound is coming from. I was very surprised that the rear washer fluid hose was one piece, it's great that there's no chance of leaking but that looks like a pain to get that headliner down.

2016 Pilot Elite - Modern Steel Metallic - Gray interior.
Front lower and chrome bumper trim, chrome door trim, color match door trim, rear lower bumper cover, tailgate bumper cover, hitch, tailgate chrome trim, Lighted door sill front and rear, cargo cover, 2nd and 3rd seat cover Front and rear dash cam. Front bumper camera w/ 4.3" LCD, Wood trim kit, WeatherTech mats, H8 6k LED fog light, Led interior, Roku 3 RES, Front window tint 35%, LampGard, LED running board

Last edited by cvsy24; 10-31-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 AM

Nicely done! Thinking about applying some of your tricks to my S2K...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:53 AM

Wish i had the time to take everything apart. All I got done is the doors. Im lagging and need to do the quarter panels. Im impressed how well its insulated from stock with my upgraded speakers and subs. With my music blasted and doors closed from outside I could barely hear my music.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Would like to know what did you do and use? Do you still have everything factory just upgraded the speakers? Planning to do the same. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anekin007 View Post
Wish i had the time to take everything apart. All I got done is the doors. Im lagging and need to do the quarter panels. Im impressed how well its insulated from stock with my upgraded speakers and subs. With my music blasted and doors closed from outside I could barely hear my music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: