Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Self Install OEM Spash Guards - Any Tips

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  XV8 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I just installed the Honda OEM Spashguards this evening. I was wondering if anyone else who did the install themselves had any issues with gaps between the spashguard and the body, particularly on the front which seems to be quite flimsy. I dont want to try to adjust too many times as it feels like the self tapping screws wont grip very well after a few tries.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

#3 ·
To minimize the gaps, it's more about "adjusting" the cladding on the fenders to match the contour of the splash guard as you tighten the screws, as opposed to changing the shape of the splash guard. But if your gaps are no more than a mm or two, it's probably about as good as it's likely to get. Once you stop "inspecting" them, it will be fine...

#4 ·
It seems like everyone has the the same issue so I'm betting it's a poor mold design. To get it flushed in get a utility knife and trim the edge until it's flushed. Takes a extra minute or two. If not you're just going gwt annoyed every time you pass by the splash guards.

#6 ·
I guess I got lucky. I installed splash guards today. Any gap is hard to see. The screw holes on the guards are elliptical. I held the guard against the side and tightened the screws.

I included pictures. The contrast isn't as noticeable as it is in the photograph. I treated the guards with protectant prior to install. I haven't treated the trim. (Winter weather)

Attachments

#7 ·
Put on my mudguards while the kid was sleeping in the pilot. Took about 45mins. Didn't get to wash the car first, which I wanted to, but who knew when the next time I would get chance to do it. Didn't have a small philips so I had to improvise. Here are some pics.

Using the pin.

Rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Like John Kirkwood said, make sure to hold the splash guards to the body when you tighten the screws. Out of the four splash guards, I only had one that had left any kind of gap. The others were flush.

Reactions: Gqcheetos
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.