Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2017 Pilot Prices Paid

617K views 2K replies 620 participants last post by  JoeB17EXL 
#1 ·
With the imminent arrival of the 2017s, I wanted to start a new thread specific to price information for the new Pilots.

Based on comments and advice in the 'Release Date' thread, I asked a dozen different dealers in the area by E-mail for a $2,000 discount off of whatever the 2017 MSRP ends up being. Six dealers responded. Four responses told me they didn't plan on any significant discounts off of MSRP for a while on the 2017s. Basically they were not interested and probably felt they could get more profit on these cars. Two dealers gave me the $2,000 discount, but then added back in a lot of dealer add-on stuff I don't really want (wheel locks, trunk tray, window tint, pinstripe, splash guards, nitrogen in tires, paint and fabric sealant). Ugh! All of the Honda dealers I've talked to do this to varying degrees, and it appears to get worse the higher the trim level is. I haven't been able to get any of them to drop the dealer add-ons, even on a pre-order, and have decided it's unavoidable and a way for them to build back in the profit target they are after.

The two deals I have working right now are in the $45.5k to $46k range, but with $1k of dealer add-ons, so the price before tax, title and license is working out to between $46,500 and $47,000. There must some fees for documentation or other stuff they add in to the TT&L, because the out-the-door price is three or four hundred more than expected with Texas' 6.25% sales tax and another $100 or so for title and license.

I am still hoping to get out the door for just under $50k -- and I can't believe I'm saying that about a Honda. I guess this is the most expensive car they sell. I will send an update once I figure out which option I'm going with and put down my deposit and get final numbers.

If you can get a knowledgeable salesperson, they can look at their allocation sheets and be able to tell you the closest 2017 Pilot they have coming in relative to the one you are looking for.

Happy hunting!

See less See more
#2 ·
$46,500 to $47,000 - Assuming this is for a '17 Elite?

Dealers add in all of the accessories because it is an easy "smoke and mirrors" swap to make more profit. When we were shopping our '16 Elite, when we found an Elite in stock, they slapped on all the bells and whistles: Chrome this, chrome that, side panels, etc. In my opinion, all junk with typically a 50% profit margin. I think it is safe to say that most dealers are expecting to drop a few thousand below MSRP since the MSRP has a super profit margin built into it. In this day and age, anyone paying MSRP is getting swindled; barring special circumstances (new models, low inventory, and high demand). So, say they drop $2k in MSRP (which they are expecting) but tack on $2k of accessories which nets them $1k additional profit. Win-win for the dealer. Lose to the buyer since, again in my opinion, the accessories are generally crap.

Long story short, I think to get a vanilla '17 Pilot, you will most likely pay MSRP in the first few months (especially for the Elite). You basically have zero bargaining power on a new model until factors turn to your favor (high inventories, bad reviews on the '17, etc.). If you are looking for a deal, the '16's will be the way to go. You'll have some leverage as dealers will need to clear out the '16 inventory as well as using any '17 features against the '16 (ex. Apple CarPlay, etc.).

Can't go wrong with a '16 or '17...good luck!

#3 ·
Yes, I'm going for a white exterior / tan leather 2017 Elite. I totally agree with what you are saying about the add-ons. Nitrogen in tires? Good grief. The problem is all the dealers do it and you can't get away from it. Like you said, the problem seems to get worse as you go up trim levels.

I use Google Maps on trips, so the Android Auto will be very useful to me. But I know it's going to cost me because I'm trying to get a 2017 right when they come out. I want to take delivery before Christmas so I can use the AWD on a trip to Colorado.

How have you liked your Elite? Have you had any issues with the transmission or radio reception?

#4 ·
Please include these details when posting 2017 Prices Paid

I am excited that we're getting close to 2017's hitting the ground and the timing is perfect that a 2017 Prices Paid thread has been started. (Thanks @wendellb )

To have this thread be helpful to everyone using it, it would be super-helpful if buyers posting here could include the details others need to make a valid comparison. This includes:

1. Your city or region and/or dealer location
2. Trim level purchased and identification of options/accessories purchased (AWD? Honda Sensing? Trailer hitch? Etc.)
3. Your price paid
4. Sticker price (MSRP) (or discount you received from MSRP) including the options/accessories included in your price paid
5. Invoice price comparison (if you know it)
6. Any other details that you think would be useful to others, such as doc. fees paid and dealer experiences/recommendations.

Out-the-Door (OTD) price has little-to-no meaning to others reading here, especially without the context of taxes and accessories.

I hope this request doesn't come across as snobby or demanding. Just a friendly request to maximize the benefit of this thread's existence. Thanks!

#314 · (Edited)
As a FRIENDLY reminder, I'm re-posting my original post on this thread (post #4) -- I've been seeing an awful lot of posts where people are quoting "Out the Door" prices. Please note that "Out the Door" prices have little means of comparison for others to use and give advice, because taxes, title, and licence costs are different from state to state.

If you want people to give advice on how good a deal is, the best thing you can do is to identify how many dollars off MSRP you were offered, plus identify FORCED dealer-installed options that you have to buy plus forced doc fees that your dealer charges that are not government fees. Only then can others help you.

Also, everyone, please mention if you are shopping AWD or FWD. There's an $1800 difference, so a bad price for a FWD Touring could be easily misinterpreted as a great price for an AWD.

I am excited that we're getting close to 2017's hitting the ground and the timing is perfect that a 2017 Prices Paid thread has been started. (Thanks @wendellb )

To have this thread be helpful to everyone using it, it would be super-helpful if buyers posting here could include the details others need to make a valid comparison. This includes:

2. Trim level purchased and identification of options/accessories purchased (AWD? Honda Sensing? Trailer hitch? Etc.)
3. Your price paid
4. Sticker price (MSRP) (or discount you received from MSRP) including the options/accessories included in your price paid
6. Any other details that you think would be useful to others, such as doc. fees paid and dealer experiences/recommendations.

Out-the-Door (OTD) price has little-to-no meaning to others reading here, especially without the context of taxes and accessories.

I hope this request doesn't come across as snobby or demanding. Just a friendly request to maximize the benefit of this thread's existence. Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
I'm here to say that just because the 2017's are new, it doesn't mean you can't make a reasonable deal. My Honda dealer has very low inventory and high turnover of 2016 Pilots, so making a deal on a 2017 was comparable to a 2016 since either would have to be ordered.

Since MSRP and invoice haven't been announced yet, I'll post preliminary details here and update it later in November:

JL Freed Honda, Philadelphia PA northern suburbs.

2017 Pilot Touring AWD - Obsidian Blue / Gray interior
No accessories and NO RIDICULOUS DEALER FORCED ADD-ON PACKAGES.

3. Your price paid
I have a signed agreement for purchasing at $2,000 below MSRP. MSRP hasn't been announced yet but expectation is that it will be a few hundred dollar increase over 2016's price of $44,070 including destination. (I.E., I would pay $42,070 if the deal was for a 2016)

$2,000 off of MSRP. (Compare to 2016 sticker price of $44,070 with dest.)

Invoice price not yet known for 2017. (Compare to 2016 Invoice of $40,745 with dest.)

My dealer does not have ridiculous add-on charges to inflate the sales price. Their doc fee is about $120 (comparable to doc fees in this area) and the rest is just tax, title, and tag.
I paid a $500 FULLY REFUNDABLE deposit for my order.
Dealer also offers for me to pay 20% off of MSRP for any accessories order at close of sale.

My order is slated for production around mid-November and expected to be delivered in late November or early December.

#6 ·
Where: North Texas Area

What: Elite, including forced dealer add-ons of wheel locks, splash guards, tint, cargo tray, pin-stripe

Out-the-door price: $49,999 + 1.0625 * (2017 Elite MSRP - Current 2016 MSRP)

Asked for 2017 Elite MSRP - $2,000. Because the 2017 MSRP is still unknown, I agreed to pay the difference between the 2017 MSRP and 2016 MSRP. Got it, but forced dealer add-ons bumped the price back up to $46,670. Texas TT&L will run right at $3k. There must be some documentation fees around $300 that bumped the price up to $50,042. Asked for $43 off to get the 2016 based price under $50k. So I will get out the door $50k plus the MSRP difference plus the extra Texas tax on that MSRP difference.

I sent out an E-mail to the dozen dealers in the area based on the recommendations in the 2017 Release Date thread. Six responded, four said no way would they be discounting off of MSRP on the 2017 Elites for a while. Two agreed to the MSRP - $2,000 offer and found options in their allocation of cars coming in later this year. Both dealers bloated their prices with mandatory add-ons, basically clawing back a good chunk of profit. I went with the dealer with the least bloat which happened to be much closer too. Contemplated buying a one way ticket to Philly to get the better price there and drive back to Texas.

It was frustrating not being able to keep off all the junk I don't want, especially on a pre-order. But every single dealer in the north Texas area does this. Also, Elites here are very rare and only sit on the lot a couple of days before selling, so that trim level puts the buyer at a big disadvantage because the dealers know they can pile on the add-ons and sell it fast anyway.

Put down a $500 deposit. Build date is 11/14 to 11/18; I'm hoping to take delivery around December 15th.

#12 ·
Dealer Location: Durham, NC
Trim Level: Touring AWD
Price: MSRP - $1650 for the vehicle. Side body molding, splash guards, 2nd row seat covers, crossbars, floor mats, and cargo cover for $1517.70
Additional fees: Doc fee ($539), DMV fee ($72), tax (~1350 depending on final price.

I put a refundable $500 deposit down to reserve a vehicle that should arrive in mid-December. If the Volkswagen buyback doesn't happen in time, however, I will have to punt; I am confident that the same deal (or a better one) will still be available.

Reactions: GTAPEX
#13 ·
We Canadians have been importing cars from the USA for many years and now the trend is reversing because your dollar is so strong. In fact I can probably sell my Pilot in the USA and make a good buck its not hard to do. Just think about the savings I will give you example a $ 45000.00 Pilot in the USA sells for about $ 48000.00 cdn funds in Canada with your $ difference that's about $35800.00 in USA funds. Dealers will tell you, you can't do it but you can and its not to hard to do. There now is a large flow of cars here that are going your way used or new.
So if you really want to save there is a way.

#15 ·
just google it there is a ton of info on this

#16 ·
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car as long as the car you are importing is made in North America there is no duty. Paperwork, documents can cost around $ 200.00 you will only pay the sales tax when you title your car in your state not when you buy from a source in Canada. There could be a gas guzzler tax on certain vehicles and a air conditioner tax.
I bought a new Corvette in the USA 6 years ago at that time I saved $ 25,000.00 and at the time our dollar was par.

Reactions: cgc
#21 ·
This is interesting. So on carcostcanada.com I see a MSRP for the Touring (the Canadian version of the Elite) has a MSRP of $50,790. It looks like there delivery/freight charge is higher at $1,725. But still, for $52,515 CAD, or $39,254 USD you can have an Elite?
:surprise:

What am I'm missing? I know you still have to pay your state sales tax when you bring it back in, but I can't find any major charge levied on buying a car in Canada and bringing it in to the U.S.

To save $7,000 and pay $39k instead of $46k for an Elite, why wouldn't I buy a one-way ticket to Canada, buy the Pilot, and drive it back to the U.S.? Heck, I could fly the whole family to Canada, pick up the car, have a nice vacation there, and still come out ahead.

I would think this is too good to be true, otherwise dealers would be doing this, especially if you're right near the Canadian border. What am I missing?

#20 ·
That 50,000 cdn would be $ 37,395.00 US funds at to-days rate.

#22 ·
I hope knowledgeable people will answer your question, because I am also curious. However I can see right away that there will be import tax/tariff and most likely a lot of paperwork - I doubt that you can simply drive car back into US from Canada, pay tax and register it here. If for some reason car is found as not meeting numerous US requirements then it will not be allowed into US with possibly extra spending to send car back to Canada... Again, I am not the person who knows this matter, but it is clear that it is not as simple as it looks on the surface..

#23 ·
The Pilots are exempted from duties because they are made in the U.S. So there are no import taxes or tariffs, just your state sales tax when you register in your state. The Pilot being the same would also meet all the EPA emissions requirements, except maybe if special equipment is added in California. So I think it would just be some paperwork and maybe some small fees. There may be some issues with the warranty transferring countries, but I'm not sure.

I see no legal limitations, but I have seen some old notes where other manufacturers penalized dealers harshly for cases where a car was bought in Canada then quickly registered in the U.S. So if no one responds, I might need to contact a Canadian dealer or two to see what they say. I am betting they run away fast if there are punitive manufacturer penalties that might be applied.

The only way to sustain a big price difference like that is to prohibit the market from doing what we're talking about and balancing it out.

#26 ·
Placed an order for an elite trim 2017 MSRP- $3000. Expected delivery late November or Mid December. No dealer added accessories. If anybody is in the market for a 17 model, will be happy to share the details and help you save. The dealer also has some 16's left on the lot, would expect similar if not more in savings off MSRP.

#27 ·
So at a minimum, the warranty will be voided, see https://www.honda.ca/owners/faqs/vehicle-movement. There might be some costs in converting the odometer from kilometers to miles and trade-in value will probably be impacted. Also see American Consumers Should Beware of Great Deals on Canadian Cars, According to Edmunds.com.

The no-warranty issue alone is a deal killer to me. So I'm back to buying in the U.S. Still, there's seems to be still significant price differences from state to state, I guess due to differences in demand and area dealers' practices regarding add-ons.

#30 ·
Every manufacture has different rules some easy some not so. I imported a new Corvette back in 2010 from the USA. List price $ 71,000.00 in the USA and $ 104,000.00 in Canada so you see what I saved, at the time the dollar was par. GM would not give me warranty here in Canada for 6 months or 12000 km (7500 miles) so that was no big deal. The worst that could have happened was that I blow a motor, no problem I would have put it on a trailer and tow it back over the border.
Right now there is a boat load of Canadian cars going into the USA in fact I could make $ 10,000 on my Vette if I sold it in the USA.

#31 ·
The secret is actually buy a slightly used one. The warranty would only be voided on a new one but should be ok on a used car. Double check this though. This use to be the case if I wanted to import a car from the states to Canada so this may be true going the other way also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.