2017 Pilot Delayed for Honda's 10-Speed Transmission? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 7Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2017 Pilot Delayed for Honda's 10-Speed Transmission?

Just speculation here but multiple people have reported that dealers won't have the 2017 model year available until December of 2016. Considering the 2016 came out in the summer of 2016, there has been at least a 2 month delay for the 2017s. I know Apple Car Play and Android Auto have been discussed as changes, but I'm wondering if there isn't been something else. Is there any chance Honda's 10-Speed tranny will be ready for the 2017 Touring and Elite models? That would account for some of the delay. I would pull the trigger in early 2017 if they get rid of the ZF 9-Speed, I just don't want to deal with the headaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 PM

You seem pretty certain that a new 10 speed would be without problems, how do you know it won't just exchange one set of headaches for another? Then then you have a huge # of the owners pissed...three different transmissions, each with some issues and by just switching transmissions nothing ever gets resolved. You have to pick one and fix the problems.

In my opinion, the 2016 pilot lacked serious testing in various aspects from infotainment to transmissions. Honda dropped the ball, or boulder rather I think would be more accurate, with the 2016 Pilot

2016 EX-L
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye77 View Post
Just speculation here but multiple people have reported that dealers won't have the 2017 model year available until December of 2016. Considering the 2016 came out in the summer of 2016, there has been at least a 2 month delay for the 2017s. I know Apple Car Play and Android Auto have been discussed as changes, but I'm wondering if there isn't been something else. Is there any chance Honda's 10-Speed tranny will be ready for the 2017 Touring and Elite models? That would account for some of the delay. I would pull the trigger in early 2017 if they get rid of the ZF 9-Speed, I just don't want to deal with the headaches.
I would suggest to keep away from 17 pilot with all fancy trannys! It's always not good to take chancses given that there are so many issues with 16 pilots! All the issues reported are short term issues, u know Neva what happens once the vechicles reach 50k or 60k miles? I am looking to off load my 16 touring, it's still with dealer after tranny replacement. No one knows what the issue is as of today, they were able to replicate the issue but can't find where the issue is coming from!!!! This is my 3rd time and 4th week with the dealer.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 AM

I heard/read somewhere that Honda developing a 11-speed transmission, not 10.

2016 Touring (Canadian), Obsidian Blue with running boards; Tow package.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDozer66
Cool

Didn't the 2016 come out in 2015?

If you don't want a ZF transmission just get a LX or an EX and then you would have not have the 9 speed in it.

BigDozer66

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD, White Diamond Pearl, 5K Tow Hitch, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Splash Guards, Tint

Traded: 2007 Pilot EX-L RES, Taffeta White, Rear Splash Guards, Tint, WeatherTech Window Deflectors & Cargo Liner, Honda Side Steps, Billet Lower Grille, Michelin LT-X Radials. 124,940 Miles
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda7 View Post
I heard/read somewhere that Honda developing a 11-speed transmission, not 10.
Both accurate.

They have already developed the 10 speed transmission and the Pilot/Ridgeline would probably be the first place we see it, just would it be 2017 or 2018/19.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...rivetrain-tech

Technology Preview: We Drive Honda's 10-Speed Automatic Transmission

They have also patented - ie. very early stages - an 11 speed - 3 clutch transmission, which is probably something for the 4th gen pilot.

Honda 11-speed automatic 3-clutch transmission patent news
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Flyer
You seem pretty certain that a new 10 speed would be without problems, how do you know it won't just exchange one set of headaches for another?
My thoughts exactly. 1st "production" year with yet another new transmission, no one knows what surprises it will bring? Although, hopefully Honda learned something from the ZF's failures. BTW we should also thank our govt. and the EPA for the ZF AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Flyer
In my opinion, the 2016 pilot lacked serious testing in various aspects from infotainment to transmissions. Honda dropped the ball, or boulder rather I think would be more accurate, with the 2016 Pilot
Yeah given a delivery price of $51K & change... I'm surprised and certainly not pleased by all the nickle & dime issues my not-so Elite is plagued with and plan to unload it before the 3/yr. 36K mfg. warranty has expired.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM

There is talk of a 10 speed but that tranny will not be until atleast 2018 from what dealers are being told.

2016 EX-L AWD Steel Sapphire Metallic
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 PM

ZF js one of the largest auto transmission designers and manufacturers in the world. Honda on the other hand is small potatoes in transmissions. What makes one think that Honda will be able to build a better and more reliable transmission? Honda doesn't have a good history in transmissions either. Honda has a history of bad transmissions in the Odyssey and Accord.
BigDozer66 and Leonard1818 like this.

Canadian Touring/US Elite
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 PM

ZF made a creative engineering choice to meet their packaging goals and make the 9-speed transmission short enough to be used in a wide range of transverse layout (FWD) applications. IMO, that choice is biting them in the a$$. Honda is taking a different, more conventional approach in terms of the mechanical engineering for their 10-speed transverse layout transmission, but they still have a big job to write software for the thing. Who knows when it will be ready to be unleashed on the public, or how well behaved it will be when that happens. ZF makes some great transmissions, especially for longitudinal layout (RWD) vehicles, but everyone has a bad day now and then.

But I'm not gonna hold my breath on any different transmission appearing in Pilot anytime soon. If Honda swallowed their pride and put the existing 6-speed in Pilot Touring/Elite going forward, I'd be pushing and shoving to get in line to buy one. Love the Honda 6-speed in my wife's 2014 MDX. Hate the ZF 9-speed in my 2016 Pilot. ( And it has infested 2016+ MDX too! ) I never really thought about automatic transmissions very much until I bought my 2016 Pilot Touring. I think that's kinda how it's supposed to be... you don't have to think about it very much! It's kinda... automatic! /end rant
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 PM
A09

Garage
From what I read in one industry publication, Honda is locked in with the ZF 9HP through 2017. Once the agreement ends, they will likely switch to their in-house 10-speed unit.

Honda must be getting a very good price on the ZF 9HP for sticking with it on the Pilot, MDX and upcoming Odyssey.

2016 Pilot Elite, Obsidian Blue Pearl

Last edited by A09; 09-21-2016 at 09:29 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carproblems View Post
ZF js one of the largest auto transmission designers and manufacturers in the world. Honda on the other hand is small potatoes in transmissions. What makes one think that Honda will be able to build a better and more reliable transmission? Honda doesn't have a good history in transmissions either. Honda has a history of bad transmissions in the Odyssey and Accord.
I've owned (6) Accords equipped w/ATs. Never had a single problem w/the AT in any one of them.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Cars are not smartphones there's almost no changes unless it's a mid cycle refresh or a full refresh. It's not a simple swap in. There's a lot of testing and regulations. It won't be another 3 years before you see any changes. You'll probably see it in the Acura mdx years before it is put in the pilot.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:26 AM

I have driven the Hyland with the 6 speed and also the Honda 6 speed and compared to the 9 speed is smoother when it shifts but the lag on pickup and downshifts when you floor it is awful compared to the 9 speed. The 9 speed shifts more because it has more gears and the ten speed will be no different. It is a double edge sword. Either you get more gears and more shifts or less shifts but a less responsive vehicle when you give it the beans.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carproblems View Post
I've owned (6) Accords equipped w/ATs. Never had a single problem w/the AT in any one of them.
Just because you didn't have problems doesn't mean it didn't exist. Google and read various Honda Accord forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: