Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Diy oil change 2016 pilot

51K views 61 replies 41 participants last post by  Wanderer 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Piloteers, I've tried searching for a DIY for an oil change, wasn't sure if there was a sticky or if anyone posted. Some of us are mechanically inclined, and some are not. We all have to start somewhere, be it a garage mechanic, on the job training or ASE certified. Some premaintenance can be done by us with better quality products to save money than with the Stealerships. So if anyone has one please post. THANKS!!!!![emoji16] [emoji106]

#2 · (Edited)
I did mine yesterday morning.....It was no different than any other vehicle I've had....remove the drainplug, remove filter, replace drainplug and filter and fill it back up from the top. The filter is right above a frame member so no way to do it cleanly but aside from that it was problem free. I used a better quality fram filter and mobil1 synthetic (walmart sells mobil1 syn cheaper than you can get most dino oils) If you need a video, just watch youtube videos of oil changes for other Honda vehicles, the pilot is no different.

I agree about the dealership, As an example, mine tried to charge me 70 bucks to "install" the floor mats( that they were overcharging for to begin with).

oh yeah, one difference is you need to go into the maintenance settings in the head unit and reset the oil minder so it knows you changed the oil.

#5 ·
I slid on under and did it spelunking style. A bit more snug than my previous "SUVs", but doable if you're not too big and/or claustrophobic. I have jack stands, but if I had to lift the thing to do it, I'd just take it to the dealer. No where near worth the effort and risk just for an oil change, IMO. FWIW I have done rear diff fluid changes and front transfer case fluid changes the same way on similar vehicles. Plenty of room for the rear diff fluid change if you pull out the spare tire/wheel.

The one issue I saw with 2016 Pilot is the oil drain plug is at a strange angle. Make darn sure you get it threaded properly on reinstallation or you will create a big problem. Finger tighten first, then use the wrench. It should thread all the way in with no resistance; it's well lubricated. And don't forget the crush washer! Darn things love to drop into the oil pan, and I'm usually too lazy to buy a new one as Honda suggests. But for gosh sakes use a new filter with each oil change. Dunno what Honda is thinking on that nonsense.

#6 ·
If you want to go two changes using the same filter, you can replace with a Fram Ultra which is good for 15000 miles. With the cheap Honda filters I would change every oil change, but certainly Honda has no problem with using a filter twice. But as Wanderer says, why not change every time since you are under the vehicle anyway. Filters are not expensive. I personally haven't made my first change yet, but plan on using the Ultra and Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. My dealer gave me free changes for life but I prefer to do it myself.

#7 ·
The one issue I saw with 2016 Pilot is the oil drain plug is at a strange angle. Make darn sure you get it threaded properly on reinstallation or you will create a big problem. Finger tighten first, then use the wrench. It should thread all the way in with no resistance; it's well lubricated. And don't forget the crush washer! Darn things love to drop into the oil pan, and I'm usually too lazy to buy a new one as Honda suggests. But for gosh sakes use a new filter with each oil change. Dunno what Honda is thinking on that nonsense.[/QUOTE]

NOT nonsense . You have no proof , just your opinion.

#8 ·
My status as the resident cheap bastard notwithstanding, I am also of the opinion that whenever I change the oil, the filter gets changed, too. As someone pointed out, otherwise it would be like taking a shower but then putting your old underwear back on.

#10 ·
I always change the filter each time I change the oil. You'd be surprised how much old oil stays in the filter if you don't remove it. I drill a hole in the bottom of the old filter after I've removed it and let it drain into my oil recycling container before disposing it. Drilling the hole in the bottom of the used filter allows the oil trapped behind the anti-drainback valve to escape. I also wrap the used filter in the nitrile gloves I used during the change by placing in in my gloved palm and pulling the glove over it.

I'd also suggest you pre-fill the oil filter with new oil before installing it. Do this by pouring oil in the center of the filter, letting it soak into the media and topping up until it reaches the bottom of the threads. Pre-filling the filter will provide less of a dry start the first time you fire up the engine after the oil change.

#11 ·
"You have no proof , just your opinion."

Fair enough. But any quality oil filter has a bypass valve that will open if/when the filter media gets clogged up with debris. Once that happens, unfiltered metallic debris laden oil is being recirculated through the engine. If I'm going to the trouble of DIY oil changes in the offhand chance that better oil will prolong the healthy life of my engine ( or just make me feel good ), I'm not interested in taking that chance.

I suspect that there are other factors in play in regard to Honda's schedule.

#13 ·
I know that this is an old topic but I clean up the mess that the oil filter makes for days. It seems to seep in every pocket I can't reach such as the sub frame and the plastic shield at the bottom. Honda has seemed to fix this on most 4 cylinders...I guess they ran out of space to put it in a better location. I curse the engineers who placed it where it is each time I change the oil....just venting :)

#16 ·
I'm fortunate in the fact that I have access to a hoist to change my oil or do any other auto related job. That said, it takes me about a minute to clean up the oil which accumulates on the frame & a couple of other places. I've always changed my own oil and have never had a vehicle yet that didn't require a bit of oil cleanup after a change. It's just a part of the maintenance. My Hondas have been the easiest to wipe down of any vehicle I've ever owned...

#17 ·
Quick release oil drain plugs

I had no idea people changed the oil without doing the filter too. Like another poster said, that's like taking a shower and then putting on your dirty underwear!

Anyway, I found these two options online and I'm curious if anyone has tried them.

This one looks amazing!! https://www.nospillsystems.com/

This one has been discussed, but how many are using them?

#18 ·
I had no idea people changed the oil without doing the filter too. Like another poster said, that's like taking a shower and then putting on your dirty underwear!

Anyway, I found these two options online and I'm curious if anyone has tried them.

This one looks amazing!! https://www.nospillsystems.com/

This one has been discussed, but how many are using them? https://www.amazon.ca/Fumoto-F-106N-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003T7XUE4
i have the fumoto on my other cars, and will get one for my pilot when the time comes for my first oil change. no complaints, i have been using the fumoto valve for over 10 years.

#34 ·
For $21.99 I get an oil change with filter and the tires rotated...no hidden "shop fees".....seriously just $21.99 and I'm out the door.

I'll leave the math up to everyone else.......

Reactions: Djaxx
#35 ·
Just did the 1st oil change on my Pilot. I fashioned a cheap spout for the oil filter out of some spare sheet metal I had laying around to help keep oil off the frame. S lipped it under the filter as I unscrewed it. Worked pretty good. May cut an inch off the length for the next change as it seems to be a little too long.

Attachments

#44 ·
Just did the 1st oil change on my Pilot. I fashioned a cheap spout for the oil filter out of some spare sheet metal I had laying around to help keep oil off the frame. Slipped it under the filter as I unscrewed it. Worked pretty good. May cut an inch off the length for the next change as it seems to be a little too long.
Next time try using a quart size freezer bag.

1. Loosen the oil filter but leave it still tight enough for oil to not leak out.
2. Slip a freezer bag onto the filter.
3. Now remove the filter. Oil spilled over the filter will end up in the bag.

Much smaller mess to clean up. :wink:

#37 ·
I had my first oil change by the dealer today @8800 miles. 15% oil life left. They changed the filter and used 100 % full synthetic oil and also did that multi point check list BS along with a car wash. It cost 39 bucks. The oil and filter alone would cost me at least 30 bucks. I'm not changing my own oil to save 9 dollars besides when they change it they are responsible for anything that might come up as far as warranty.

#40 ·
I get charged anything from $30-$35 for new filter and full syn at my north NJ dealers. I'd gladly throw in $4 for a wash, but a second thought. Don't think I trust them with my clear coat. Would be hard to argue a swirly mark repair afterwards. $39 is a great deal. $21 is simply armed robbery :)

#41 ·
$10 dollars for labor at just about any place near me if I provide the oil and filter. I used to change my own oil but considering the time, cleaning up, and having to shower after, I will pay $10 for the labor. I use full synthetic so if I find a dealer/shop offering around $30, I would pay that. The only thing is, I feel down to pay for something I could do myself. However my time is money too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.