Check your paint. All of it. - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Check your paint. All of it.

Valuable lesson learned here on buying a new car. Check every square centimeter before signing up.

I looked for months to find a White Diamond Pearl Pilot. Had to drive 1.5 hours to buy it, and evidently I didn't scrutinize every single panel well enough.

I found this on the first car wash. It was a bubble, and as soon as I touched it, it popped. I've since found 2 more of these, and a piece of debris under the color coat. This is all on the front fenders. Everything else looks great.

So now I have to get my brand new car painted, leave it in the body shop for 4 days, and the dealer won't pay for a rental car.

Anyone else having paint problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CmyQMflWAAAbCui.jpg
Views:	1337
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	92426  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:44 AM

I'm sorry to see that

What kinda pisses me off about this story -- and your experience may be different than mine, but what ticks me off is how damn fast they want you to sign and get out of there. We went to look at vehicles one evening and a storm blew in. It got REALLY dark, black, windy, rainy, etc... just in the time we were there. These fools thought that I was actually going to buy the thing that night... in the friggin thunderstorm. They kept saying "well, you're under warranty if there's anything wrong with it!".... ugh...
Hantra likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
They kept saying "well, you're under warranty if there's anything wrong with it!".... ugh...
Yep. Surely any average dealership hack body shop guy can totally nail a three-stage opalescent paint match / blend.
Leonard1818 likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 11:47 PM

Did you call honda corporate? You should definitely log a complaint, and make sure you leave a bad review (yelp, etc) for the dealer for not hooking you up with a rental car.
Don't let them off easy for something so unacceptable.
Hantra and Milbo like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondotcom View Post
Did you call honda corporate? You should definitely log a complaint, and make sure you leave a bad review
I waited a couple weeks for the dealer to allegedly try and get the repair approved for warranty, and they said Honda was unresponsive. So I got their attention via Twitter. Now, at least someone from corporate has followed up with me, and is getting the ball rolling. They're still not as responsive as one would think they'd be.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 AM

Each dealer is going to be different. I had a paint issue show up on the front bumper of mine about a month or so after I got it.....it was not there day one. Took a picture and e-mailed it to the service manager. Called him the next business day, found it on a weekend, and he told me to bring it by so he could see it in person....in the picture it was kind of hard to see on the black paint. Brought it by, he could see it, took his own pictures, grabbed the "body guy" and he looked at it as well. They told me right there on the spot, "when can you leave it with us so we can repaint it, we will take care of this". We waited about another two/three months before taking it in, I at least wanted to get it closer to the first oil change and past the "summer vacation" season. Called the Service Manager and made the appointment, had to actually wait a week longer than what I wanted as he said at the time I wanted to drop it off they didn't have any loaners - the loaner I got was a 2015 Accord that at the time had less miles than what I had on the Pilot.

Long winded to come back to the point, each dealer is going to be different. I'm glad I have found one that "seems to care", yes they are not a BIG dealer and are in a somewhat small town (Rocky Mount, NC) but they care. I was there a few weeks ago getting a door panel replaced, under warranty with no hassle and only a few pictures and a phone call or two with the Service Manager....our salesperson walked up behind me as I was checking out the 17 Ridgeline "Black Edition" they had in the showroom and started joking with me. We then had a 20 minute conversation where he was asking questions about the place I work and other things......meaning he remembered me and details about me.
Sparkland likes this.

66 Chevelle..78 F150..89 Accord LXi 5 spd..07 Accord EXL..07 Pilot EX-L..16 Pilot Touring AWD

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 AM

I had all the same issues as you regarding paint issues and our vehicle is white as well. The front bumper where it meets the headline was peeking, inside drives passenger side door jamb was peeling, had several pieces of dirt in the the clear coat in good, drivers fender and roof.

At first I it found the front bumper area one, took it in and they fixed that. I than saw the hood, drivers passenger door jamb, and roof items. Took it back and they took a full week to repaint it. I than saw the same damb thing on the drivers side fender, which was missed the 1st and 2nd time. Back to the dealer I went and this time the dealer gave me crap. However, after pushing, jumping up and down, complaining they finally caved and painted the drivers fender.

Our vehicle was made a year ago, and must have had issues with there painting process.. I find it strange that they would allow this kind of crap to leave the factory like they did in the condition that it was in..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hantra likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Had the hood of my not-so Elite Honda Pilot repainted recently to correct a factory paint flaw. Been buying new automobiles every few years for nearly 4 decades and this is the 1st time had any issue with the exterior paint.

Nice job of QC Honda.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

This is my fourth Honda. First paint issue.

I just picked it up from the body shop Thursday. Although the paint looks pretty good, the car smells like a cheap hotel room where they sprayed disinfectant everywhere. Can't get rid of that smell and bring back my new car smell.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
This is my fourth Honda. First paint issue.
Got you beat there... of course I'm an old fart so you probably have time to catch up. (7) Hondas / (6) Accords (1) Pilot w/factory paint flaw in middle of the hood. The Honda dealer I purchased a 2013 Touring Accord and 2016 Elite Pilot from owns a collision center so they did a good job repainting the hood under warranty and detailing the SUV.

One trick I learned is for those with leather seat pucker issues... on a hot sunny day... spay a little distilled water on the pucker then leave your vehicle out with the windows closed in a hot sunny area and the heat/damp seat will shrink the leather as it drys reducing or eliminating the pucker temporarily until it stretches out/puckers up again.
Hantra likes this.

2016 Elite Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Touring Accord Crystal Black Pearl

Pilot accessories: Trailer Hitch (5000lbs), Trailer Hitch Harness, 9-Speed ATF Cooler, 20" Black Alloy Wheels, Chrome Front Bumper Trim, Chrome Tailgate Trim, Folding Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Applique, Body Side Moldings, Crossbars, Splash Guards, Front Lower Trim, Chrome Door Mirror Cover, Lighted Running Boards, Custom License Plate Frames
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Garage
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I noticed what appears to be a paint bubble on the 2017 Pilot Touring AWD that I picked up on Monday. I hadn't noticed it before, but this was the first time that I'd looked at that side of the car in full sunlight.

It's on the driver's side rear door, near the back, on the top side of the concave curve of that door. I took pictures, but the damn thing is so beautifully shiny that you can't see it.

Anyway, it could theoretically be a ding, but I've had plenty of dings over the years and none looked like this. It's about the size of a dime, and appears to be out, like a bubble, rather than a dent/ding, which would go in.

The dealer has been great so far; they're going to consult their paint guys, and probably have me come in to look at it when they're in (the sales manager wasn't sure which days they're onsite).

Honestly, I'd kind of prefer a ding to a bubble, since a bubble is going to require repainting.
Mjm4 likes this.

2017 Pilot Touring AWD - Black Forest Pearl with Beige Leather Interior
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Good luck. Keep us posted.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Honda is not the only company with paint flaws. A number of years ago I bought a new Toyota Camry and after about a year the paint started popping off (looked like stone chips) all over the vehicle. The factory rep looked at it and asked if I lived on a gravel road (duh no I said) . Paint chipping off the roof and trunk OK duh.
It took a year and countless trips to the dealer and pictures before Toyota finally agreed to repaint the whole car. I told Toyota I wanted a new car as a repaint is never the same and it wasn't. Toyota said too bad so it makes no difference which company it is you buy from.

2016 Pilot Canadian Touring (Elite) ,White Diamond Pearl, WeatherTech Floorliner & Cargo Liner, complete frontal 3M install, OEM trailer hitch, E-trailer wiring harness , RTX winter wheels & 245/65R17 Blizzak DM-V2
Delivery date 07/07/2016 , Built 06/2016
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Garage
Went to the body shop with the salesman today so an expert could take a look at it. He said it's definitely a paint flaw of some sort, and they'll try to buff it out, but failing that they'll repaint the door. It's being covered as a warranty issue, and the dealership will provide me with a loaner while it's being taken care of.

Things happen, that's why warranties exist. They're making it right, and that's all that matters to me.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Garage
Got it back today. They had to repaint part of the door; I guess because it's brand new they didn't have to repaint the whole thing. It looks good. Hopefully that will mark the end of my paint adventure.

Of the new cars I've purchased - five Hondas, one Toyota, one VW - this is the first paint issue I've encountered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: