Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

USB audio for an iPad

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AWD Flyer 
#1 ·
I've had my 2016 Pilot EX-L for less than a month. It does not have the RES. Instead in our previous car the kids just watched movies on an iPad, which we plugged in via USB so the audio could play through the speakers.

Am I right that USB audio from an iPad will not play through the speakers? I can hook up an iPhone (tested an iPhone 6S, 6, 5, and 4) and play audio fine by selecting the iPod source. But, when I plug in an iPad (tested iPad 1 and iPad 3), it says there is no device detected. The iPad will charge, but I can't figure out a way to play audio over USB. AUX or bluetooth are of course other options, but I'm surprised USB won't work as there should be no difference between an iPhone and an iPad. My only thought as to what's happening is that the head unit is filtering out what devices it sees, and not accepting an iPad.

Thanks for any help you can offer, or at least confirmation that what I'm seeing is true.

#4 ·
Not sure then. Fwiw I really don't like the functionality of this system, it not only has poor integration of cell phones, it also locks out all of the hands free features to make it safe to use. I don't like hooking it up via BT because I can't use my hands free texting "drive" mode that came with the phone, it would read them aloud and I could text back via voice. Now its silent, switched the radio display and I have to try to figure out why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.