Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Touring AWD vs FWD

31K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Nirun 
#1 ·
I'm in the market now for a pilot and initially looked into the EX-L but got the bosslady to approve a purchase for the touring model. My issue I have is here in Southern Cal, there are like only 5 AWD in my area but my wife insists on AWD due to the notion we may use it if we go to the mountains when it snows.
For those with experience who actually drive in the snow, how big a difference would it be with the fwd vs the awd considering I will hardly even use it. Dealers in SoCal aren't budging on price and some still have markups which is a pain to bargain with. Can you guys justify purchasing the awd in my case because my thinking is I can use chains up in the mountains but hopefully you folks with experience can chime in? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Hey D_Money30:

FWIW: I've been up to Big Bear in the snow several times in both AWD and FWD vehicles. IMHO, AWD is much better than FWD when it comes to road safety and sticking to the road. I have a FWD CRV and an AWD PILOT. Just realize that CHP requires chains on all 4 tires on AWD vehicles (just the two front on AWD).

#5 ·
I think you meant all 4 tires on FWD and 2 on AWD, right? Thank you for your response and seeing you are in same area its good to know chains are required either way. Apparently, every model above EXL awd are non negotiable here due to the lack of stock with higher models.

#4 ·
Basically what they said. I am in Missouri and have an AWD touring.. which also has a sand mode as well as snow mode. Pulling a trailer is better with AWD...I used to live in Phoenix and never went where it was snowing in winter nor did i pull a trailer therefore i didnt need AWD....But with it.. You vever have to switch it into anything unless you wanna switch the mode to snow, or sand, or mud.

#12 ·
Seasonal snow tires with AWD may satisfy CHP and eliminate the chain requirement. That is worth exploring. This means true snow tires with the "snow on the mountain" symbol on them, NOT "M+S" all-season tires.

Tire chains are a last resort on these vehicles. There just isn't enough clearance between the tires and stuff you really don't want getting hit by chains. Yeah, I know, radial chains, yada yada yada, but it's still way too easy to screw up. These crossovers aren't trucks with solid axle suspensions.

#13 · (Edited)
Nice idea but not realistic in Southern California where the only snow (ice) most of us experience is when we take a ride to the mountains for a day of snow play or a weekend getaway. Snow fall is a miracle in LA, OC etc.(happens once or maybe twice in someone's lifetime who resides here) that brings all of us out of our homes to stare at with wonder as it melts away before our eyes in a matter of minutes:surprise:

Chains are the norm here if you plan on going to the mountains in winter. To even get true snow tires you would have to special order em cuz there's no market in So Cal.

#14 ·
Looks like the infamous Elite model will only be sold to some sucker here in Southern Cal along with AWD touring. I got a quote on a fwd Touring for a lil over 40k w/ dest charges so unless it's a floor model or something with issues, I may be posting pics soon as this evening!

#16 ·
Call me a sucker (Elite in Los Angeles). Like anchor3n1 mentioned, snow in LA is very minimal so snow tires aren't practical (even if you drive to Mammoth; from LA 80+% of the drive there is on dry roads). For the local mountains (Big Bear), I've only had to use chains twice (in over 8-10 years of going up there). One time was during our freak winter (about 5 years ago) and I used "wire" chains on a FWD Toyota Camry (CHP was allowing AWD with no snow tires). The other time we had to put chains on, drove about 1/2 mile after putting them on and no more snow (took them off and never used them again on that trip).

To your question, majority of SoCal driving you can get away with 2WD. But, if you have any inclination of ever owning a boat (trailer) or driving outside of Cali (ex. to Utah), you might want to consider forking out the $'s for AWD.

It's like everything else in life, you don't need it until you need it.

#15 ·
You will be much better served with snow tires on all 4 wheels than AWD. AWD provides no help coming back down that same hill/mountain - snow tires provide that extra confidence. Obviously snows and AWD is the best (this is what I have), but I would take my Accord with 4 snows any day before my Pilot with all-seasons. The Pilot on all seasons would have a little advantage acceleratig up hill but the Accord would do better the other 99% of the time (level, cruising up hill, down hill)

#19 ·
Wanderer said:
Well, if that's the way it is...

Just be darn careful when you install the tire chains, and keep the speed low, low, low when they are on. The centripetal force at speed will fling them away from the tire. The last time I used the things was probably 25 or more years ago, and that coincides nicely with when I decided seasonal snow tires were a wise investment for traveling across the frozen north and/or into the Rockies in winter, even on my FWD cars. The occasional foray from the desert into the mountains is certainly a different situation. Good luck.

I would still suggest AWD and throw the chains in the trunk to be used ONLY when conditions ( and legal requirements ) demand it.
Yup that is exactly right - it's about the only time that anchor3n1 doesn't drive it like he stole it even though that's the only way to go the rest of the time:eek:

#23 ·
That was not the point I was trying to make. A nerve was struck being referred to as a "sucker" for my decision to purchase an Elite.

So far as your arguement goes my opinion is if someone desires and can afford to buy a bigger house, car or boat I say bully for them.

It's not like we're looking down our nose at you FWD folks but we do not appreciate being called "suckers" just because we bought the best Pilot that Honda makes.

#24 ·
My personal opinion is that an SUV without AWD/4WD is like a belt without a buckle. But that is from the perspective of a northerner who deals with snow every winter and likes to escape to the mountains now and then. And yes, I have done both with FWD cars with or without snow tires, but I feel a lot better about it in an AWD vehicle. I see a lot of vehicles in the ditch every winter, and many of them are FWD vehicles, possibly driven by drivers who don't know how to drive in snow and/or were overconfident. Tires have finite grip in any given condition, and that is split between steering, power delivery, and braking. As duly noted AWD/4WD does nothing to retain steering control during braking, but having the power distributed to all 4 wheels does help maintain steering control during cruising and acceleration under slick conditions, especially with modern stability assist systems. If all you ever drive on is dry pavement it's a non-issue because unless you're doing hot laps at the local track, you have more traction at all corners than you will ever need.

#25 ·
AWD or 4WD do nothing cruising down the highway on packed snow etc. I can't even tell you how many times I have been passed by an AWD vehicle because they feel they need to be going faster than my Accord with snows (Pilot is my wife's car), and I see them in the ditch later. Had one guy pass me a few months ago in WY after a big snow and he did a 360 right in front of me. This in a big 4wd Ford pickup. I very rarely get passed in the snow and when I do there is a good chance I will see that person wipe out if they don't have snows. I don't overdrive conditions either - the car is just solid and stable. In fact being lower to the ground and presenting less area for the side winds to hit (big issue in these parts) helps a lot more than the extra clearance.

Yes if you floor it around the corner the AWD has a theoretical advantage, but traction control (mandatory on all new cars) keeps the tires from spinning and losing traction so it is a moot point. Yes even without snows AWD will have an advantage if you have to start from a dead stop on a hill or in exceptionally deep snow (the kind where the national guard is called up), but that is about it for paved road driving. We get a lot of big snows in SD, WY, ND, MT area and I have never been stuck (in over 20 years) and never had to cancel my driving plans unless the roads were closed - in which case number of drive wheels doesn't matter.

And saying the AWD is the "best" Pilot is kind of looking down your nose (as it all depends on your wants and needs), but the the poster that started this was being a little too critical, so I get the response.

Now AWD with snows in the ultimate of course. I came to a dead stop on the steepest hill in town after about 6-8 inches of snow and then floored it - the Pilot lept forward. Very impressive. I tried it later in my Accord and it also made it up the hill - just struggled a little at first. Coming down that same hill any car without snows would go through the stop sign at the bottom.

#26 · (Edited)
AWD or 4WD do nothing cruising down the highway on packed snow etc.
Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. The only time I have entered a ditch without intending to do so was in a big 4WD vehicle with part-time 4WD, and the road was mostly clear so I couldn't have it in 4WD. Hit a patch of black ice in a windblown curve, broke the rear wheels loose, and there she went. I'll never know if AWD would have kept me out of the ditch that night, and perhaps saved me from explaining to my dad how I rolled his nearly new loaded GMC Jimmy, but power delivery through RWD was not my friend. AWD or full-time capable 4WD are a completely different animal from part-time 4WD. Don't compare them or you lose credibility.

"big 4wd Ford pickup" Yep, part-time 4WD again.

I have personally watched a young testosterone-toxic guy in a part-time 4WD pickup truck attempt to overtake me after I passed in the left lane of an icy Interstate, only to begin a really impressive set of slow-motion spins culminating in an unintended tour of the ditch. Perfectly straight 4-lane road. He just broke the rear wheels loose from too much power delivery and lost it. Fortunately, he stayed upright and stayed the heck out of my lane. :eek:

To be fair, I had snow tires on all corners or I wouldn't have been passing anyone.

Most of my knowledge and experience in balancing acceleration traction vs steering comes from a silly sport called cyclocross, a type of bicycle racing where the course designers delight in off-camber slippery corners and the kind of stuff that makes it nearly impossible to lay down power without slipping out. But the same principles apply to cars. However, I am more circumspect about pushing the limits in a car on public highways. You're welcome. :wink:

#29 ·
Wow this thread went in a different direction than what I intended. Thank you for the comments nonetheless. For all of us Pilot owners, the "suckers" comment was meant as a joke not a direct comment on fellow Elite owners. Like I stated, I would have loved to own an Elite but from what I've read and researched down in So Cal, the dealers won't budge on pricing and some will still have markup that the deal may "sucker" in someone to buy. I'm the new guy here and I appreciate all the help and for that 5-10% of the time I will go up in the mountains, I now know my FWD has options. lol Have a good Sunday folks!

#31 ·
Call me whatever you want.

We got the Touring AWD as that was the only 2016 on the dealers lot when I went there to get a part for my youngest son's then 97 Accord a year ago - yes I managed to break the lower timing belt gear when pulling it off :hammer:. Kind of knew what I was in for when the wife wanted to go with me :eek:. By the time I was out of the parts department with the new gear the salesman had her in the drivers seat ready for a test drive......the rest is history :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.