2016 Pilot or Acura MDX - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2016 Pilot or Acura MDX

In market for new SUV. For those that have looked or owned either. Pilot touring is about 8k less that MDX with similar options. Have driven both and the MDX drives a little sportier. But I just cant see paying 8k more for something that's not a lot of difference. I guess it may come down to opinions but anyone have any thoughts on the pilot vs MDX? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 PM

Have had both. The pilot offers more features for less cost and cargo space is more than the MDX. The all wheel drive system is the same but the MDX all wheel drive sends more power to the designated wheel so it's more of a sport feel. The Acura dealer here offers better service than the Honda deadership, Acura offers another Acura loaner while in service, Ect.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 PM

THe Pilot is and feels alot roomier than the MDX.

I would have preferred the MDX over the Pilot for the price I paid on a pilot touring vs MDX. but the Pilot was just larger and fits my needs way better.

2016 US Pilot Touring in White | DDMTuning 6k HID kit with relays| Rally Armor Universal Mud Flaps| Updated LEDs| Curt Trailer Hitch| Go Rhino Hitch Step

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 PM

You get 4yr/50k warranty with Acura if that is worth something to you. I had the same issue of choosing and went with the Pilot Touring and pocketed the savings. Never looked back. Both are great vehicles. So you are good either way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:57 PM

We looked at pretty much all the "mid-sized" crossovers and traditional SUV's. In the end we narrowed it down to the 2016 / 2017 Pilot, the 2017 MDX and the 2016 CX 9.
I have always preferred performance oriented vehicles and am getting older and appreciate luxury and comfort so the MDX was where I was leaning. The 2017 MDX offers Acurawatch and emergency auto braking standard this coming year. So the base MDX is on par right between the Touring and Elite. Comfort and luxury, the Acura wins overall with a really nice second row console this year. The "beak" is gone and the handling and performance are better than the Pilot. The higher trims have a really nice RES that puts the Elite RES to shame. The front center console has the large console topping armrest that I'm sure everyone wishes the Pilot had.
But all is not better than the Pilot. Fuel economy on the MDX under-performs the Pilot by a good bit at around 6 or 7 mpg less. If you truly want a 3rd row, the MDX is lacking there as well with a 3rd row that isn't big enough for even short trips with adults. (In the end this was what caused me to eliminate the MDX as we are getting a 3 Row vehicle so that we can actually use the 3rd row for passengers.) Off road performance also goes to the Pilot.
The two are very similar but the Pilot is the more economical family mover, the MDX is the road performance oriented 4 passenger, night on the town version. In the end it depends on which category you are aiming for.
We did end up ordering an Elite due to the dealer agreeing to a price that was close enough to the CX 9 that I preferred sticking with the more proven engineering of Honda over essentially the 1st year ever of a non-Ford/ Mazda only CX9. Even though the comparable Mazda will be a little cheaper MSRP (about 1.5 K less) than the Elite and also have a few niceties like info HUD and a lower max towing capacity.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 PM

Don't forget that if you buy an MDX you need to be buying premium fuel as well.

2016 Steel Sapphire Metallic Pilot Touring AWD
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwc3030 View Post
In market for new SUV. For those that have looked or owned either. Pilot touring is about 8k less that MDX with similar options. Have driven both and the MDX drives a little sportier. But I just cant see paying 8k more for something that's not a lot of difference. I guess it may come down to opinions but anyone have any thoughts on the pilot vs MDX? thanks
At the end, We ended up comparing the 2016 MDX, the 2016 Lexus RX, and the Pilot Elite. The Lexus, IMO, was the luxury vehicle out of the three. The MDX was the sportier of the three. The Pilot was the jack of all trades. We bailed on the Lexus as we wanted the option of a third row (if/when we ever needed it) and the trunk didn't feel big enough. The funky rear side windows didn't fit my taste either.

As for the MDX, it was damn comfortable sitting in the seats and the various driving settings (sport, Econ, etc.) was pretty cool. But, the cargo and third row were tiny, the dual screen and controls were odd, and the lack of a spare tire were duds for me. The icing on the cake was the lack of AC vents for the third row (which the pilot has).

The Pilot was the middle ground. What it lacked in luxury it made up in space, AC vents, and a very symmetrical console (which is my pet peeve; I do not like unsymmetrical consoles). The lower price (although the Elite is not cheap) aided in the decision in addition to not too many being on the road.

As for your decision, it really comes down to what you will be using it for. If you want the more luxury option, there is definitely a difference in the MDX. The leather seats are more plush and I think the center armrest will pay off on long trips. In addition, I bet you can bargain for one heck of a deal on a 2016 MDX right now versus a Pilot. But the Pilot makes up for it in more space, practicality (cool storage floor, roomier third row, etc), and features.
jshirley likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikard View Post
We looked at pretty much all the "mid-sized" crossovers and traditional SUV's. In the end we narrowed it down to the 2016 / 2017 Pilot, the 2017 MDX and the 2016 CX 9.
I've been agonizing over the same choice set and I'm going to hold off a bit. The CX-9 looks amazing and the engine intrigues me. I know it's perhaps stupid to see the infotainment system as such a decider for me but Honda's pathologically insane abandonment of the volume knob just drives me crazy. I have a CR-V and I almost never use the steering wheel volume control because the knob is so much better.

I'm also curious to see what they do with the Odyssey. If it's more powerful with AWD I might have to consider it.

The MDX is quite nice to look at but again, the infotainment system is utter garbage and would just irritate me every day I use it.

Lastly, I wish Honda would allow RES to be a standalone option instead of rolling it into packages. I don't want a mounted TV when I've got tablets that do so much more without all the bulk and poor picture quality.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Since I was having trouble getting the price I wanted on the Pilot I went on a tour of car dealers looking at various models. Here is what i drove and thought of each:

1. Infiniti QX60 MSRP $52,000- This model had Premium, Premium + and Drivers Pkgs. I loved the around view monitor and it drove nice. Had USB ports in the 3rd row which was a nice touch. It was a bit under powered and the engine was loud.

2. MDX Tech- Around 51,000- I was a current Acura TSX owner and loved the service Aruca provides. The 4 year 50k warranty is nice and free loaners on all service were reasons I wanted to stay with Acura. The SUV is smaller then the Pilot and fits less people and storage. I liked the 2 LCD monitors because I love to look at the Navi screen and my wife loves to see the radio screen so this allowed both at the same time. Drives nice and handles well. Downsides is the Navi is outdated (not a hi res screen).

3. Toyota Highlander Limited- With the Acura and Infiniti coming in higher in price for a lease then I wanted to pay we went to Toyota. We knew going in that it was not on the same level as the luxury SUV's but also knew the price reflected it. While this SUV was fine there was nothing that really stood out about it. Driving it though made my wife realize the captains chairs were the best option for our family. She really liked sitting in them and the access to the 3rd row. The interior felt cheap compared to the Pilot.

After our search I sent my wife back to Honda to sit in the Pilot since we went to all dealers in 1 day and have it fresh in her mind. She liked the Pilot Elite with the captains chairs. Our sales manager stepped up and got us 2k off any model we wanted. At $45,495 we purchased the Pilot and are very happy with it. Has features even the luxury SUV's didnt.

Good luck with your decision.

2016 Pilot Elite. Lunar Silver Metallic w/ Black interior
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replys..some good info. I may wait until 2017 MDX comes out since it looks like it will have some more standard features. I plan to look at the QX60 also.
It may just come down to price for me..its hard to beat the Pilot touring model for all the options you get compared to others.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:20 AM

You'll appear to be much 'er driving an MDX than we do tooling around in our loser Pilots.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwc3030 View Post
thanks for all the replys..some good info. I may wait until 2017 MDX comes out since it looks like it will have some more standard features. I plan to look at the QX60 also.
It may just come down to price for me..its hard to beat the Pilot touring model for all the options you get compared to others.

When the 17 MDX comes up expect them to command a a price fairly close to MSRP for a few months. The QX60 should come at a good discount. Depending on the area dealers may have alot sitting on the lot. It was a nice car and I could have purchased it but the price was way to high for me in a Lease. There were people reporting they were getting the $51,000 version for around 45k, i was not seeing that with the dealer I want to. Over the Touring model you are getting alot for that money. HID lights and many more features if they are important to you.

One thing I forgot to add about the MDX is the sound system is much better then the Pilot. My Pilot is not experiencing the fading issue but the reception on non HD stations is not good. This looks to be getting addressed by Honda so only time will tell on the radio issue

2016 Pilot Elite. Lunar Silver Metallic w/ Black interior
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikard View Post
The "beak" is gone
So now the last reason to get an Acura is gone.

Would you buy another Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Uncly Opty
You'll appear to be much 'er driving an MDX than we do tooling around in our loser Pilots.
Actually, I've noticed most of the looks Pilots get from MDXers are a wistful blend of remorse and envy.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
So now the last reason to get an Acura is gone.

Would you buy another Honda

Actually, I've noticed most of the looks Pilots get from MDXers are a wistful blend of remorse and envy.
Damn you plplplpl (what the heck kind of screen name is that?). Yes, even old grumpy optivity's blinged-out Pilot has received many an admiring look +compliments too.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 12:45 AM

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post
Damn you plplplpl (what the heck kind of screen name is that?). Yes, even old grumpy optivity's blinged-out Pilot has received many an admiring look +compliments too.
Well, my Capital District* chrome mirror cover compadre, we can't blame MDXers their buyer's remorse as they gaze admiringly, can we?

(The screen name, to answer your query, is simply the easiest thing to type, alternating two fingers on the right side of the keyboard. So what's the etymology of optivity?)

*BTW, it's Reunion Weekend at The Albany Academy. You going?

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
(green);
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)

Last edited by plplplpl; 05-20-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: