2016 Comprehensive Buyers Guide - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2016 Comprehensive Buyers Guide

This guide is mostly complete. I will still try to update it when something new comes up.

This forum was invaluable to me when buying my 2016 Pilot and I wanted to share some of what I found. If you post topics/info below, I will include it in the original. I'm also fairly new to the forum, so if you have formatting suggestions as well, please let me know.

Pricing:

• Link to Invoice Pricing thread. Important to note that this was posted in June 2015 and prices have likely gone up. These prices also do not include destination charge ($900). It's also important to note what trim you are looking for. A lot of elites are still going for MSRP, while the lower trims can be had for Invoice + a bit of money.
  • Here is a link to a google search for the prices paid forum. You can try searching for your state, dealership, trim, etc instead of combing through 110+ pages of content. Just enter your search terms in at the end.
  • At the time of this post, Costco pricing is $850 over invoice in the US. Some dealers can elect not to participate in the program for new models like the 2016 pilot. Other dealers require the car to be on the property to be eligible for purchase. Some dealers will give pricing over the phone, others will make you come in. Some dealers will even let you reserve a car that is coming to their dealership and let you pay for it w/ Costco pricing. If you can get close to or below Costco pricing on a new car purchase, you are doing good! Please also note that Costco does not manage the service - it is a third-party program run by Affinity. Here's some good info on the Costco program. Also, even if you aren't a member, membership is $50 a year. If you are paying more than $1000 over invoice, it would be a good idea to just get a 1 year membership and try to get the savings anyway.

Feature Comparisons:

Parts & Accessories

• Must Have Accessories Thread
  • Another Accessory Thread
  • HondaPartsNetwork is the cheapest site I've found for OEM Parts/accessories. Their shipping costs are a bit more than others, but their low cost makes up for it.
  • Bernardi Parts is also a good alternative for OEM Parts/Accessories
  • Honda's installation guides if you plan to purchase parts yourself.
  • WeatherTech is highly recommended for floor mats. Their 1st row, 2nd row, and 3rd row mats are DigitalFit via Laser measurement (lasers!). I would not recommend their cargo mat if you plan to use the third row frequently because it does not fold. Honda's OEM Cargo Folding Tray seems to be a better choice. I would also recommend not purchasing a specific color of an accessory like these until you get your car. I was about ready to buy the gray floormats because we have a gray interior, but the carpet and flooring is actually black, so black mats made more sense for us to buy.
  • Thread on screen protectors. General consensus here is that photodon is the best. MXO seems to be the most popular too. Photodon did a custom cut for Honda Pilot owners (LX excluded) based on feedback received in this forum. We just put ours on and so far it fits perfectly. Link to buy here.
  • Good prices can be found on Amazon. Just make sure you are paying close to HondaPartsNetwork and Bernardi Parts prices. Some of them also have Amazon stores (like WeatherTech)
  • CD Player for LX, EX, and EX-L thread. TLDR: It can be added on as an accessory.
  • If you are looking for a pet mat, this one fits perfectly for non-elite models. We just got ours in today and it looks great in the second row. The seats won't recline forward, but it's a good option if you don't need to use the third row for a while.

Videos:

Honda Sensing

• Info on Honda's Site and Also more info on Honda's site here.
  • This may be my opinion here, but the Honda Sensing Package is not intended to drive your car for you (with the exception of ACC maybe). It should be used for emergencies and/or distracted driving.
  • In a nutshell:
    -Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS): Will automatically break the car if an object in front of you is spotted by the combined radar and camera system. Some users have reported spotty incidents, but no significant risks. Many users have reported dramatic positive results in accidents. Also includes Forward Collision Warning
    -Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): Will only work with cruise control on. Has 3 distance settings that will automatically adjust your speed based on distance to car in front of you.
    -Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS): Helps keep you in the middle of the lane. Will automatically adjust the steering wheel to bring you to the middle of your lane. Will also turn your car on slight turns. Please note that this needs to be turned on every time you start your car for it to work and you have to be going at least 45 mph. The button to turn it on is right below your cruise control buttons.
    -Road Department Mitigation (RDM): RDM will steer you back into your lane if you happen to drift out of it. You will notice an alert, a shaking of the wheel and even braking. This will not happen if you have a turn signal on. Check out this thread for more info on the difference between LKAS and RDM (this is also the first google search result, so go us!)

2016 Issues

General:

Car Buying Tips

Safety

Extended Warranty

General thoughts here are that the honda care policy is better than the third party warranties. A lot of owners have reported having difficulties getting third party warranties to cover repairs, whereas Honda Care is very reliable. There are several online vendors that sell warranties online. Do not buy your warranty at your dealer unless they can match these prices. Most of them won't be able to because the cheap dealers are volume dealers. The reason a lot of us getting extended warranties when we normally wouldn't (myself included) is because the 2016 is a brand new design: new engine, new transmission, new chassis, new electronics, etc. Not all of the kinks will be discovered until later models in this generation. You have up until 6000 miles to purchase the new warranty. After that, you can purchase a used warranty prior to reaching 36000 miles. See this FAQ for more info.

2016 Pilot EX-L w/ Sensing in Steel Sapphire Metallic.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dealership Addons: Roof rails, cargo folding tray, CD player, tinting, wheel locks, splash guards.
Other Addons:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Deken; 04-25-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Formatting. Added warranty section and updated Parts section. Added Trims. Added another video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Reserved

Dealership Addons: Roof rails, cargo folding tray, CD player, tinting, wheel locks, splash guards.
Other Addons:
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Reserved2

Other Addons:

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Nice job Deken! I wish I had seen this before I bought.

You may also want to include information on the HondaCare warranty. I ended up getting the 8yr/100k warranty because the dealership told me I could only get it while the vehicle was considered a new car. Once I received the title, the vehicle is considered used and not eligible for the HondaCare warranty. When I mentioned that some dealerships were selling the warranty on line for $1300, the rep said he didn't know how they could do that and make money. There seems to be a lot of misinformation being spread out there.

As far as ordering parts from Amazon, it depends on who is sourcing the parts. I got several items from Amazon sourced through Bernardi at a price that was lower than Bernardi was showing on their website. Honda Parts Network is very good to work with. Email questions are answered very quickly and they ship fast as well. What it comes down to is shipping charges and cost for the items that you want to order. I ended up getting $775 worth of parts for $550 shipped by using Amazon (E-PartsPros and Bernardi sourcing), and Honda Parts Network.
baksi likes this.

2016 Black Honda Pilot EX-L w/Honda Sensing
2007 Ford Focus Station Wagon SES
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleengene View Post
You may also want to include information on the HondaCare warranty. I ended up getting the 8yr/100k warranty because the dealership told me I could only get it while the vehicle was considered a new car. Once I received the title, the vehicle is considered used and not eligible for the HondaCare warranty. When I mentioned that some dealerships were selling the warranty on line for $1300, the rep said he didn't know how they could do that and make money. There seems to be a lot of misinformation being spread out there.
You have 60 days from delivery to buy HondaCare I'm pretty sure. Which dealership told you this? I'm in the Cincinnati area too, and I want to make sure I steer clear of that dealership.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice job Deken! I wish I had seen this before I bought.

As far as ordering parts from Amazon, it depends on who is sourcing the parts. I got several items from Amazon sourced through Bernardi at a price that was lower than Bernardi was showing on their website. Honda Parts Network is very good to work with. Email questions are answered very quickly and they ship fast as well. What it comes down to is shipping charges and cost for the items that you want to order. I ended up getting $775 worth of parts for $550 shipped by using Amazon (E-PartsPros and Bernardi sourcing), and Honda Parts Network.
Thanks for the feedback! I updated the OP. Can't believe I forgot about warranty!

Other Addons:
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post
You have 60 days from delivery to buy HondaCare I'm pretty sure. Which dealership told you this? I'm in the Cincinnati area too, and I want to make sure I steer clear of that dealership.
I read it on here somewhere. Can't remember where. Confirmed here:

Honda Extended Warranty | Frequently Asked Questions

Other Addons:
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post
Performance Kings Honda. The downside is that they have the best selection in town, usually 20 pilots on the lot.

2016 Black Honda Pilot EX-L w/Honda Sensing
2007 Ford Focus Station Wagon SES
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Performance Kings Honda. The downside is that they have the best selection in town, usually 20 pilots on the lot.
That's what I thought you were going to say. You aren't the first person to complain about them on here. It's really weird too because the Performance in Fairfield is really great (I bought my old Fit there, a 2009).
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:32 PM

2016 Comprehensive Buyers Guide

You can purchase the Honda Care warranty anytime up to 3 yrs/36,000 miles from original purchase date of the new vehicle.

http://www.curryhondacare.com/faq.cfm

The best time to purchase is before 6,000 miles. After that the price/length of term change.

For certain this warranty will pay for itself on the 2016 Pilot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkland View Post
You can purchase the Honda Care warranty anytime up to 3 yrs/36,000 miles from original purchase date of the new vehicle.

Honda Care - Everything you ever wanted to know.

The best time to purchase is before 6,000 miles. After that the price/length of term change.

For certain this warranty will pay for itself on the 2016 Pilot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks Sparkland. I updated the OP.

Other Addons:
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is Awesome Daken. Wishing Canadian consumer can share as well EH'.

Philip.
P.S. Still waiting for my reserved Pilot from the dealership.
Deken likes this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:12 PM

Hi for this buyer's guide I request to add a check list for the test drive (especially for pilot issues like fm radio). I'm looking at generic checklists as 2017 release gets closer...
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihapa View Post
Hi for this buyer's guide I request to add a check list for the test drive (especially for pilot issues like fm radio). I'm looking at generic checklists as 2017 release gets closer...
I'm open for suggestions on what to put in the list. I didn't test much on the test drive other than the FM issue.

Other Addons:
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:59 AM

Hi everyone, I would like to know if anyone is buying a Gap insurance for their new 2016 honda pilot here How much?
We got a touring awd and dealer gave us $795 for the Gap. Is it too expensive?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: