Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Things I didn't know about my Third Generation Pilot

107K views 193 replies 111 participants last post by  sequoiasoon 
#1 ·
So I thought it would be cool if we started posting things that we didn't know but figured out along the way. I'll start it off with my experience tonight.

I didn't know that if you leave the door open with the interior lights set to "door" that they would turn off for you after a set period of time (not sure exactly how long but they were off for me after an hour) thus saving your battery the following day.

Got something you figured out along the way? Post it!

#2 ·
There is a manual fuel door release hidden in the rear left side panel behind the third row seat. There is also a fuel funnel located there and it is required if you need to add gasoline manually.

#18 ·
If you press the open unlock button on the keys and hold down after, it'll open all the windows and sunroof. Comes in handy when I'm working on the car and want to turn on the radio for music. Or, if you want to get some fresh are in the car.

#24 ·
Well I'm sure you all knew/know, but I had NO idea about the auto off feature and it scared the crap out of me. It was never mentioned at the dealership and it never engaged during the test drive (never got caught at a light). So the first time it happened, I thought something was fatally wrong. I've since found the button to shut it off.

Anyway, a little thing I just discovered is that the glasses holder doubles as a panoramic mirror if you want to keep your eyes on the kids. The sunken cubby hole in the back driver's side fits a gallon milk container snugly. The rear cargo deck lid is removable/reversible.

#25 ·
Well I'm sure you all knew/know, but I had NO idea about the auto off feature and it scared the crap out of me.

I agree, the "Auto Idle Stop" feature does not provide a good user experience. The vehicle lurches a little when the engine restarts and that's not a characteristic of a well engineered car. While I'm pleased that they are trying innovative ways to improve fuel economy; this feature is not satisfactory.

Anyone know how to turn it off permanently? Currently it returns to the default setting of 'On' when you start the car.

#26 ·
Hill Assist.... I was about to take mine in for service on the transmission until someone on here mentioned that they Pilot has the hill assist feature. Unless they are mistaken in which case I may nee to take it in for service. I have a steep driveway at work and it certainly feels like the trans holds or the brakes engage for a moment when I come to a full stop waiting for traffic.

#28 · (Edited)
I've only picked up my EXL yesterday, and so I'm not 100% sure about this. It seems that each time I start the car, I have to acknowledge the safety warning notice on screen. If I don't and start driving, the screen will be locked at the screen saver (clock). Please tell me I'm wrong. Otherwise, this would be a royal pain in the a$$ to do this every freaking time I drive...

#32 ·
This is indeed the situation for my Canadian model. You have to accept it (sooner or later) to get out of the warning page, for EVERY FREAKING TIME I start the car.

None of that "reverse then disappears" claims work here. It certainly doesn't just go away if I don't do anything.

This is unbelievable!!

#35 ·
I just figured out a cool thing. When you get one of those alerts on the Nav systems, if you're like me you're thinking "Sure, there's a one minute delay somewhere, but where?"

I just figured out that if you tap the notification bar, or the small square icon it collapses into, it opens up another screen with the info (and sometimes a map).

Kind of cool so I dug back to this thread to share.

Reactions: Jeronimo21
#45 ·
Basically at the bottom of the windshield gets heated where the wipers sit on the windshield, it comes on every time the Temp goes below 3C (37F) yes you can turn it off. i haven't found it useful as the temp on it doesn't seem that warm as the glass on the Canadian Touring (US Elite) is thick.

#43 · (Edited)
optivity said:
What's up w/the dinging noise? & I'm not talking about those idiotic side sensors. :mad:
See this post for the answer:

KCSteve said:
I just figured out a cool thing. When you get one of those alerts on the Nav systems, if you're like me you're thinking "Sure, there's a one minute delay somewhere, but where?"

I just figured out that if you tap the notification bar, or the small square icon it collapses into, it opens up another screen with the info (and sometimes a map).

Kind of cool so I dug back to this thread to share.

#48 · (Edited)
That you can an audible beep alert when you shift to reverse.

That you can set the auto idle off guidance on and off. So if you have it on and you came to a stop, but the car is too cold to engage the auto idle off, if display a quick message saying "idle off is currently unavailable".

Both are in the vechicle settings menu, under "Meter Setup"

#50 ·
Yes, that's by default....can't turn it on or off. But with the "Auto Engine Idle Stop Guidance Screen" turned on, you will get an additional message when one of the many reasons it may not engage you get the "Currently unavailable" message.

Try turning on you seat heaters and front and back defroster, which should prevent the idle stop from engaging. Make if you get the unavailable message. Then turn the guidance screen on and you will see the message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.