Very Uncomfortable Armrest - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very Uncomfortable Armrest

Over that past few months I have been disliking driving my pilot for only one reason....the armrest. I pretty much like everything else except maybe for the sound quality of the audio and the lack of bass. There was a site that I came across that had a way of possibly modding the armrest and making it much more comfortable to drive. Is anyone in the NY/NJ area that has heard of this company or may be able to take a look? They said they may be able to make the first of its kind modification for free.

If you take a look at the Toyota they have a Wide Armrest which looks so much more pleasing and he mentioned to me that it would not be a ratchet type where it clicks, but instead only an up and down.

JJ Products 1-800-654-2356 | Armrests | Rear Seats | Upholstery | Dash Kits | Wind Deflectors | Bug Guard

here is the Toyota/lexus pic

Lexus RX Armrest | Toyota Highlander Armrest | Wide Armrest | Dual Armrests | Two Armrests | RX300 | RX330 | RX350 | RX400h | RX 300 | RX 330 | RX 350 | RX 400h | Extra Wide Armrests | Driver Armrest | Arm Rest | Aftermarket | Extra Large Lexus Armre

Last edited by chioz1111; 02-25-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chioz1111 View Post
Over that past few months I have been disliking driving my pilot for only one reason....the armrest. I pretty much like everything else except maybe for the sound quality of the audio and the lack of bass. There was a site that I came across that had a way of possibly modding the armrest and making it much more comfortable to drive. Is anyone in the NY/NJ area that has heard of this company or may be able to take a look? They said they may be able to make the first of its kind modification for free.

If you take a look at the Toyota they have a Wide Armrest which looks so much more pleasing and he mentioned to me that it would not be a ratchet type where it clicks, but instead only an up and down.

JJ Products 1-800-654-2356 | Armrests | Rear Seats | Upholstery | Dash Kits | Wind Deflectors | Bug Guard

here is the Toyota/lexus pic

Lexus RX Armrest | Toyota Highlander Armrest | Wide Armrest | Dual Armrests | Two Armrests | RX300 | RX330 | RX350 | RX400h | RX 300 | RX 330 | RX 350 | RX 400h | Extra Wide Armrests | Driver Armrest | Arm Rest | Aftermarket | Extra Large Lexus Armre
Good idea. I just E Mailed their customer service dept, They have them for the CRV.. Maybe Ill get an answer
post #3 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:56 AM

I totally agree with you about the arm rest. It is very uncomfortable. I would be very interested in this product if it is reliable and effective. I miss my 2009 Pilot which had a beautiful, big arm rest you could rest your arm on.

post #4 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri812 View Post
I totally agree with you about the arm rest. It is very uncomfortable. I would be very interested in this product if it is reliable and effective. I miss my 2009 Pilot which had a beautiful, big arm rest you could rest your arm on.
I got this reply just now from the company..

Not yet. I'm working on it.
If you live in NJ would you be willing to help?

Thanks,
Jim
1-800-654-2356
post #5 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Cheap armrests, cheap floor mats, cheap carpeting...

Hey Honda "what's up with that?"
post #6 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Garage
Very Uncomfortable Armrest

Guys if you search for armrest you will find I have been contacting Jim for a while now.

He needs someone to open up the zippers on the drivers side seat and see if the armrest clicks into a piece that is welded to the seat or if it is bolted to the seat.

If it's bolted we can use his custom bracket to get armrests made. BUT if it is welded we are $.hit out if luck.

I haven't had the time to open up my seat and take some pictures where the armrest is inserted.

Can anyone do this? I planned on meeting up with him but can't until he knows how it is attached.

Where did they hide the front armrest?
Deken likes this.

2016 Pilot EX-L - Modern Steel Metallic / Black - 4300K HIDs - Debadged - Blacked Out - TSW MAX Wheels -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 PM

Well, the padding in the front of my armrest, where I rest my elbow, has now compressed to nothing. Its "leather" on hard plastic. I'm willing to be a bit proactive and explore the guts of the thing if there is some hope of a resolution. I haven't wrecked anything expensive in at least a week...
Gqcheetos likes this.
post #8 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Well, the padding in the front of my armrest, where I rest my elbow, has now compressed to nothing. Its "leather" on hard plastic. I'm willing to be a bit proactive and explore the guts of the thing if there is some hope of a resolution. I haven't wrecked anything expensive in at least a week...
If you can confirm that the part that the sprocket "slides" into is not welded on I can have Jim fabricate us new armrests and will meet up with him for testing fitment etc.

It is all dependent on using his custom mount which means we would have to take off the OEM bolt and replace it with his - that's why if it's welded on the whole operation is a no go. If you can unzip both zippers on the back of the drivers side seat (carefully) and reach up towards the armrest and feel or even get pictures that would be amazing.

2016 Pilot EX-L - Modern Steel Metallic / Black - 4300K HIDs - Debadged - Blacked Out - TSW MAX Wheels -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 PM

I'm in NJ and would be willing to meet up with Jim if someone can confirm sprocket type. If he can it'll be a meet up in my neck of the woods 👌

2016 Obsidian Blue Touring -Maxed Out Bling
post #10 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:58 PM

Here are some pics of the armrest bracket. May not be good news. There is a bracket welded to the side of the seat frame, and a plate screws into that. ( 5x16 mm tapping screws, from parts diagrams ). On my Touring, the plate houses the ratchet assembly, so this may be of interest to anyone who wants to add that feature. I was struggling to hold back some foam while I snapped these pics with an iPhone. If I can figure out how to pull off the armrest and improve access, I will try again.

Very Uncomfortable Armrest-armrest-1.jpg

Very Uncomfortable Armrest-armrest-2.jpg

Very Uncomfortable Armrest-armrest-3.jpg

Very Uncomfortable Armrest-armrest-4.jpg

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-26-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #11 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:31 PM

Garage
Thanks for taking those pics. Let me talk to Jim - I will PM you with my email address - maybe you can send me the hi-res pics that aren't compressed. And if you can take the armrest off and get some better pictures also that would be a HUGE help!

And I can teach you how to take the armrest off. It took me an hour to figure this out. You need to put the armrest to 37.5 degrees from the resting position. I was out there with my protractor and everything. It took a while but you just pull on it. Grab the lowest part of the armrest and just pull it straight out. I counted 12 stitches from the cross stitch. Here's a hi-res shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	81441  

post #12 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:46 PM

I'd prefer a center/padded console accessory that will fit over the existing console for both front and middle row captain seats.

Anyone going to offer an after market accessory like this?

I don't even use my cheap/way-too-narrow armrest anymore.

I leave it up and out of the way altogether.
post #13 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Garage
Jim's armrests will be wider and if you replace both drivers and passengers it will be like one big armrest (provided you keep the ratchet drivers side the same height as the passengers). Actually I think the Elite armrests ratchet on both sides.

post #14 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:11 PM

Garage
I think if we can unscrew the bracket for the armrest (ratchet connector) then we should be able to use his custom mount and screw that in place of the part that holds the armrest in. Hard to tell in the current pics.

post #15 of 169 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:02 PM

Yes, Touring and Elite ratchet both sides. I just spent another half hour tugging and cursing and I can't get either one to release. I knew about the 37 degrees from the online manual I spent 10 bucks on for today, and I tried your picture as a guide but I still can't get it.

Btw non-ratcheting should be easy. Just pop off a cap and unscrew a nut. Armrest is different too, not just ratchet mechanism.

Pull straight out horizontally away from the side of the seat, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: